Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

removing greenwood wing

O

Oldskool153

i have a real greenwood wing on my 92, i wanna take it off but what can i do about the holes its gonna leave? dont want to repaint my whole rear deck

i have a real greenwood wing on my 92, i wanna take it off but what can i do about the holes its gonna leave? dont want to repaint my whole rear deck

I feel removing the wing will be one of the best decisions one could make; second to upgrading to a LT4 stroker. Hopefully the holes are small enough to fill and touch up paint by hand.

lol i've done some fill on my older muscle cars not sure i trust myself with the vet tho...

Not trying to hijack this thread, but FOR THE RECORD, I find "Greenwood" and other body kits for Corvettes and C4's in particular to be the most ugly things I have ever seen next to ricer stuff. The car looks great as is, don't clutter it up with useless stuff, but that is just my 2 cents worth.

So yes, take the wing off. Correct me if I'm wrong but the c4 isn't technically fiberglass, right?

yea the c4 isnt fiberglass but what am i gonna do with the holes once the wings off? and yea i agree and disagree with ur statement mine looks good as it is b/c it doesnt have a kit just the wing so its not that bad but id like it better with out it

Snot Fiberglass?

If the C4 isn't fiberglass, then what is it??
Thx

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong but I beleve the c4 is some type of poly resin. But back to my orignal topic. How do I get the wing off!? I thought it might require taking a tail light out so I did but than there's a grey cover with the brakelight buld threw it, how do I get that out I don't want to break anything, plz tell me I don't have to take my whole tail piece off? It has 3 paces where it could b bolted, one oneach side about the brake lights and one in the center above the center light

Well, bad news on all fronts for ya, you will have to remove the licence plate to get to the back of all four tail lights to remove them to get to the bolts that are holding the rear wing to the deck. The SMC (Sheet Molded Composite) material will be prep and finished like fiberglass, and then blend painted to match the rest of the rear deck. Not really a job for someone that dosn't know how to paint... better suited for a good body shop.

If I take the plate off how hard is it to get the lights out? I can deal wit the bolt holes later, but is it reallr gonna be all that work just to get the wing off? Ughh

If I take the plate off how hard is it to get the lights out? I can deal wit the bolt holes later, but is it reallr gonna be all that work just to get the wing off? Ughh
Not once ya get the lights out of your way to access the wing bolts.... i would say 20 minutes tops with some basic hand tools. :beer

First off, SMC has fiberglass in it.
Second, OP get BondoGlass from any auto parts store or Home Depot.

Take the wing off, tape a piece of cardboard on the underside of the panel, then fill the hole just below the top of the hole. After it dry's, remove cardboard and use body filler to bring it up to the top of the hole, carefully sand smooth and paint.

Easy project that anybody can do, when sanding filler, make sure and not get the body paint or you will make it much harder.

Sweet deal should I leave the cardboard afer the fillers hard?

No, cardboard is for backing.

Oh ok jus wanted to double check because forsomereason I imagine the filler cracking an falling threw the hole if I take the cardboard down once its hard

Not sure about your vette, but every factory Greenwood Vette and the add on rear wings are bolted thru the rear fascia panel not the rear deck. Fascia panel is a EPD type plastic not repairable with conventional methods.

tcxd40

Yea, I gave up. I had the tail lights out an I could see the bolts an the wingnuts holding the wing on but I couldn't get the plyers in there to turn the wing nuts, plus its freezing out an I figure remving the wing will jus open a can of worms, plus like I said b4 my cars all black an tinted with a black greenwood wing so it doesn't look bad at all

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom