Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removing Spark Plugs

Emtmike

Corvette
1981 Biege & Dark Bronze Coupe
This is the first time with my vette I've had to change spark plugs :eek:hnoes. I got the driver side done, but the passenger side looks to be more of a challenge :W. I placed a few pictures from underneath and was wondering if I have to drop the starter to get the shroud off that protects the spark plugs ;help. Anybody have any ideas???

DSCF2548.jpg

DSCF2547.jpg

I don't think so. But I would disconnect the ground terminal from your battery. It will be fireworks if you're connecting the wrench to the engine and + starter terminal.
The drivers side isn't that big a problem, the drivers side is not that easy (even without the shields.)

Greetings Peter

I don't think so. But I would disconnect the ground terminal from your battery. It will be fireworks if you're connecting the wrench to the engine and + starter terminal.
The drivers side isn't that big a problem, the drivers side is not that easy (even without the shields.)

Greetings Peter

The only problem is I can't feel a bolt to remove the shroud like there was on the drivers side. This is why I was asking if I have to remove the starter since it seems to be behind it ;shrug.

I'll check mine this afternoon, let you know this evening (in about 6 hours).

Greetings Peter

I've done mine twice so far..
I've done the 1st 3 from the top and the last one from underneath
what is the heat shield from?? Exhaust,or plugs????
I have the exhaust heat shields on mine but not the ones for the plugs...

I didn't have to remove the starter. You need to take off the wheel and go through the wheel well. You will see it better then. I believe the shield has a "C" type end...once you loosen the bolt it slides up.

Get your self a mirror. Once yuo see it for the first time it will become easier.

Some of the plugs are also easier to get throught the wheel well.

Jim

Jim is correct.

I took pictures this afternoon but sorry, nothing to see on them.

Greetings Peter

I didn't have to remove the starter. You need to take off the wheel and go through the wheel well. You will see it better then. I believe the shield has a "C" type end...once you loosen the bolt it slides up.

Get your self a mirror. Once yuo see it for the first time it will become easier.

Some of the plugs are also easier to get throught the wheel well.

Jim

I wondered about that, but the car is on ramps for the moment. The shroud is there since it is an original piece an I'm wondering if it really needs to be there. I did find out about the C hole since I was able to remove the driver side shroud. Thanks for the information :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom