Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Removong Locking Lug Nuts with no key?

P

Piet

So the Vette I just bought has two different styles of Locking Lug nuts.
The owner is still looking for a key to the second set... but I don't think he is going to find it. The set I have a key for is a common aftermarkey locking lug nut , a wavvy 5 point star design. (Yes I know the picture is of a bolt... but you get the idea)
3376_b.jpg

The one I am missing is a 9 pointed star design. Is this a common type? How hard are these to get off if you have no key? Anyone ever try.

I think my only resort is to take it to a tire shop.... because I do NOT want to mess up my factory mags.

Tire shops have a specific socket for removing locking lugnuts. It's called a Quick-Off or Twist socket. It can be used with either a bar or impact wrench.

LT-4200A.jpg

The trick is not to lose the key, I suppose...

-Mac

use the tool that Mac posted. they are available at SEARS for a resonale price. or you could weld another nut to the lock, just be careful you don't get welding goobers burned into your rims.

Piet, sorry for the slight redirection, but i am a bit baffled..

I guess, that makes those locking lug nuts kinda obsolete, if they have tools available to get them off anyway.. ;shrug:

Piet, sorry for the slight redirection, but i am a bit baffled..

I guess, that makes those locking lug nuts kinda obsolete, if they have tools available to get them off anyway.. ;shrug:

ya they are kinda like "security" screws they keep the dumb crooks away and make it harder for honest folk to remove. ;LOL ;LOL

I lost my key and had them removed at my local tire store. They did it for free while I waited.

So the Vette I just bought has two different styles of Locking Lug nuts.
The owner is still looking for a key to the second set... but I don't think he is going to find it. The set I have a key for is a common aftermarkey locking lug nut , a wavvy 5 point star design. (Yes I know the picture is of a bolt... but you get the idea)
3376_b.jpg

The one I am missing is a 9 pointed star design. Is this a common type? How hard are these to get off if you have no key? Anyone ever try.

I think my only resort is to take it to a tire shop.... because I do NOT want to mess up my factory mags.
Hi Piet, Here's the trick. Take a center punch and punch out the star design, then force any locking star key into the center, and poof...... off comes the lock. That's why all locks are JUNK. Waste of money because all the theives know the trick. The reason I know is a friend of my had those locks on his Mustang years ago and the cop showed us how the crooks steal them. True story. Good Luck. Save the Wave.>George

while you're at it take a look at all the lug nuts. When I got tired of fooling with the locks and started looking, some of the nuts had badly worn threads. I replaced them all.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom