Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repainting 95 torch red coupe

Full Bull

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted ... been transitioning into new job and working myself to death. Got to paint my 95 due to clearcoat peeling/delaminating and am considering change in color. I have red/black interior and have been tinkering with going with pewter silver. Anyone aware/seen a 95 wearing pewter? I'm having a hard time picturing what it would look like. I love the color on the C-5's I've seen ... but am concerned I might not feel the same way on my C-4. Any words of advice/opinions?

P.S. I don't like blues, whites/pearls, oranges, yellows, or blacks (ok, I do love black, but I live in the South Texas dust bowl--nuff said.) I want to leave the interior as is.

P.S. S. Yes, I'm sure I don't want to keep it torch red ... or any other red, for that matter. I've had the car for nearly 5 years and have enjoyed the red, but am looking for something different.

Full Bull said:
Hey folks,

Been a while since I've posted ... been transitioning into new job and working myself to death. Got to paint my 95 due to clearcoat peeling/delaminating and am considering change in color. I have red/black interior and have been tinkering with going with pewter silver. Anyone aware/seen a 95 wearing pewter? I'm having a hard time picturing what it would look like. I love the color on the C-5's I've seen ... but am concerned I might not feel the same way on my C-4. Any words of advice/opinions?

P.S. I don't like blues, whites/pearls, oranges, yellows, or blacks (ok, I do love black, but I live in the South Texas dust bowl--nuff said.) I want to leave the interior as is.

P.S. S. Yes, I'm sure I don't want to keep it torch red ... or any other red, for that matter. I've had the car for nearly 5 years and have enjoyed the red, but am looking for something different.
Havent seen one but it should look cool. The code for pewter is WA382E if you need it.

Volks .... see you're an auto painter. I've got a friend who's doing body work on my car (pickup backed into mine and its bumper took out some of the fiberglass on the hood) and he's offered to paint the whole vehicle (plus do the repairs) for $1500 ... I thought that was a steal ... what say ye?

Full Bull said:
Volks .... see you're an auto painter. I've got a friend who's doing body work on my car (pickup backed into mine and its bumper took out some of the fiberglass on the hood) and he's offered to paint the whole vehicle (plus do the repairs) for $1500 ... I thought that was a steal ... what say ye?
That's incredibly cheap... beware of what paint he will use. I work at a body shop doing the usuall collision work during the week and I do custom and resto. on the side( the cool cars) with my buddy and I can tell you just for a full paint with no body work we get around $3000 depending on the color and the car. Right off the bat we charge a grand just for materials. The clear I use costs $300 and paint is usually around $75 a quart unreduced (need at least 2 for an overall), plus filler, sandpaper masking paper, etc... That should give you an idea what it costs. Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Full Bull said:

I painted my '86 myself with PPG Deltron line of paint, and the paint, reducer, clear, and hardner all together was something like $850. This was in 2001. I just had to repaint my rear facia due to an idiot hitting me in a parking lot, and a *quart* was $68 just for the base color.

What I would suggest is that he gives you a quote for labor, and you buy the paint yourself.

Painting's done!

Well, painting/repairs are done. Beautiful job!! Paint was PPG and two coats of clear coat (forget the brand, but it was equally top drawer) .... Only complaint, the dude had my windows partially down when doing the job ... interior was covered with white chalk dust!!! Not sure why he had them down, but he did. Oh well, I figure I saved about 2,000 by having this guy do the work, so what if it took me a couple of hours to clean up his mess! Thanks for the feedback ... I know this sounded too good to be true, but the guy did a great job ... and the results are first class.

How 'bout a pic ??
Don't think I've ever seen a Pewter C4.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom