Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repair Part/Availability for ZR1

im going to a school next fall where ill be building high performance motors, ill have everything that i need there to do the job... although tuning would probably need to be done outside the school

http://www.samracing.com

another question that ive been asking alot but havent go a single answer yet... can a C4 or C5 (even though they have a rear mounted tranny) IRS be swapped out to a solid axle?

If I was going to build a big cube motor I could do all the work myself thats not my problem or yours its the parts pricing that is the problem the crankshaft alone is in the 5K range and there were only like 20 of them made.
then conecting rods are another 2-3K so on and so forth
camshafts wasy 5K then porting polishing and doing som fabrication on the plenum some do siameased plenums all sorts of crazy stuff thats when it gets expensive.

as for putting a sold rear axel on the car I have never heard of anyone doing that?
Im sure anything is possible but why would you? for the track?
I say go for it and see what you can do the big thing is you would have to fabricate the mounting points that would be a ***** but not impossible nothing is impossible!
johnny

is the rear suspension capable of holding 800-1200 hp? even with aftermarket parts?

as for the engine.... thats why im more leaning toward the C5 and with its LS1, with aftermarket internals . Seems like the ZR1 motor doesnt have all that much options to building it up (correct me if im wrong :) ).. and even getting your hands on the crankshafts. As for the heads I could easily do them at the school. Ill be saving alot of money on labor etc etc. and hopefully build something that is of extreme quality and dependable when I graduate , business or customers will know what I build is of quality and worth their dollar.

Spare part prices?

Hi everyone.

New here and followed this thread with great interest. And relief since I'm (hopefully) in the process of upgrading from a Camaro SS to a ZR-1. When talkin ZR-1 with people (at least here in Sweden), it seems unavoidable to run into answers like "great car if you can afford the costs when it breaks". I think this thread puts these comments in some more realistic perspective.

But - what about parts that need changing due to normal wear: clutch, brakes, exhaust, shock abs., etc? How is the availability and pricing of those? Is it normal to change the clutch yourself or do you need a professional shop to do the work?

And how is the aftermarket in general for ZR-1 parts? Suppose I for instance would like to change carpet or seats in my car.

Ajax

Re: Spare part prices?

ajax6 said:
Hi everyone.

New here and followed this thread with great interest. And relief since I'm (hopefully) in the process of upgrading from a Camaro SS to a ZR-1. When talkin ZR-1 with people (at least here in Sweden), it seems unavoidable to run into answers like "great car if you can afford the costs when it breaks". I think this thread puts these comments in some more realistic perspective.

But - what about parts that need changing due to normal wear: clutch, brakes, exhaust, shock abs., etc? How is the availability and pricing of those? Is it normal to change the clutch yourself or do you need a professional shop to do the work?

And how is the aftermarket in general for ZR-1 parts? Suppose I for instance would like to change carpet or seats in my car.

Ajax

With everything you stated above Prices are the same as a regular C-4 corvette you can get all of those parts aftermarket.

The only things that are ZR1 specific are the engine, The transmission has a different input shaft but the tranny is the same otherwise. you can convert a standard ZF trany to work in a ZR1 for about $800
The windshield but not to many of them are left out there a regular C-4 windshield will fit just fine, The doors, rear quarters, and rear bumper.

so basicaly your regular wear and tear items are still available interiors are abundantly available brake pads disks all kinds of aftermarket stuff is out there.

I think you would be hard pressed to blow up a LT5 motor!
other than that its all C-4 parts that you can get off of a salvaged car or on the aftermarket.

johnny

no problem!:beer

seems like everyone is getting rid of their SS for a ZR1, but if I dont find a job this month, I can kiss that idea good bye :(

Repair Parts

Well sure looks like I hit a nerve. You ZR1 folks are real fanactics. It's good to see such loyalty.

Merry Christmas........

I still think the parts are too expensive!

Grizzly,
I can’t speak for parts ZR-1 parts availability and how ZR-1 critical items hold up if driven hard. BUT... I was in your place five years ago.

In ‘98, I was looking to move up from my ‘94 LT1 to a moderately priced ZR-1. I have loved the ZR-1 since I first saw one in 1990; pop that hood and that beautiful, beautiful engine.

My budget was high 20s to $30,000. I had looked at several Z’s in the area and they were all very nice, but more than I had wanted to spend at the time.

After work one day, I stopped in the Chevy dealer, there sat a white ‘92 with red interior ZR-1, it had a little over 30,000 miles on it. It was in nice enough condition for me to talk seriously to the salesman. Here’s where I made my mistake...

The salesman gave me info on the car, and pointed out that it had been running rough and had left a prospective buyer stranded, the Z had to be trailered back to the dealership. Salesman informed me that the fuel pump had failed and had been fixed, it ran about $1,000.00. I was taken aback by the cost of the fuel pump. He told me that ZR-1s are very expensive to repair and that you need a deep enough wallet for the unexpected. Seeing my reaction to the cost of the fuel pump, he took me over to a mint ‘96 Polo Green LT4, under full factory warranty and didn’t need a thing. The undercarriage was shiny on this car! Perfect condition.

The LT4 was $27,000, the ZR-1 was $30,000, both cars in my budget range. I bought the LT4 and I to this day, I wish I would’ve bought The King. At the last moment, I got scared from the salesman’s ominous cost of repair warning. This past Sunday, I went to look at two ZR-1s a local dealer has (not buying, just looking). As I stood there looking at the cars, after all this time, deep down, I still want a ZR-1. They have a mystic about them I can’t escape. If you really want one, the desire never goes away.

What I’m trying to say in my long winded post is, if you want one, go for it. Everytime I see a ZR-1 go by (rare occasion), I kick myself and think, I could’a had one! With what I know now about the ZR-1 that I didn’t know back in ‘98, I’d be driving that white ZR-1 toady. I read in Corvette Fever magazine that the fuel pump from the 454 Chevy trucks will work just fine, it meets the Z’s requirements and is considerably cheaper than the Z fuel pump. If I would’ve known little things like this back then.

DARN, DARN, DARN!!!!!!!!

B17Crew
:w

Yeah that 1K for the fuel pump is a crock!
Thats the only way GM will sell the "ZR1" fuel pumps
Like you said it is the same number for the silverado fuel pump and I think it is like $100 bucks or something like that

The ZR1 parts are not that outragous when you bounce part numbers off other parts and educate yourself on a great site like
the zr1.net
learn from those who have been there and what information has been compiled for the ZR1 the prices are not that outragous.

Excellent, excellent post, B17Crew. You really summed up the mentality of why to get a Z.

I totally agree with you. Some things are good to save money on. A sports car, for me anyway, is not one of those things. The reason for getting one is for your personal enjoyment, so if you go for less than what you want, it will never stop haunting you.

If you are on a budget, and a car's "mistique" isn't that much of a factor for you, then I would advise against the Z.

For me, I love how much character the car has. It was literally the ressurection of the Corvette. And the LT-5 is simply a work of aluminum art. Not only does it look incredible, but there is nothing else like it in the world. Hand-built, and specially designed and engineered from scratch for Corvette, and Corvette only.

And in the long run, it's character that counts. All cars get old. All records get beaten. All technology eventually gets outdated. No matter how much faster and better cars get, none will be able to dethrone The King. It's about more than speed and horsepower.

And just in case--I'm not knocking other cars here at all. I totally understand why the ZR-1 doesn't appeal to some people. It's simply a matter of taste and what YOU look for in a sports car. I'm just trying to emphasize the points of why I like the ZR-1.

Brett

We Love them All

You boys and girls love your ZR1's the way I love my coupe. But lets do a little reality check. Even though we love them all, as long as they are just toys let's try to not throw all our money away like on the ones we drive that have to start every morning no matter.

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that the ZR1's will not be one of the shining stars of Corvette investments. That's what makes it doubly attractive along with the performance aspect. On the other hand I think it is a sin not to drive them. That's why I asked the original question. How much is going to cost me to keep it running and good shape.

Being suspicious by nature my guess is that some of the good buys have been rode hard and put away wet, which is true of all performance cars. There lies the root of my question about parts.

Have a nice day..............

Brett,
Thank you... the ZR-1 will always be a special Corvette. If anybody is considering a ZR-1, first educate yourself on the Z; hook-up with a knowledgeable owner to go with you while you look at the prospective car. A local Corvette club may have a ZR-1 owner or two who would probably be willing to go along to bounce things off of during the inspection of the car. I just wish would’ve done these things back in ‘98.:cry

B17Crew

Re: We Love them All

Grizzly said:
You boys and girls love your ZR1's the way I love my coupe. But lets do a little reality check. Even though we love them all, as long as they are just toys let's try to not throw all our money away like on the ones we drive that have to start every morning no matter.

me to keep it running and good shape.
I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that the ZR1's will not be one of the shining stars of Corvette investments. That's what makes it doubly attractive along with the performance aspect. On the other hand I think it is a sin not to drive them. That's why I asked the original question. How much is going to cost
Being suspicious by nature my guess is that some of the good buys have been rode hard and put away wet, which is true of all performance cars. There lies the root of my question about parts.

Have a nice day..............

Well I find your post a bit confusing you refer to corvettes as a toy ,but say they should be driven the same as I do but the way you said it makes me believe that you only drive your vette(s) on weekends to shows and such so she doesnt see to many miles.
and dont blame you on you coupe if I had one of those it probably would be a nice weather car.

But my ZR1 is MY daily driver I bought it with 28K on the clock in 2001 and Im about to roll 39K miles this weekend, I love my corvettes and I drive them constantly! except for those deployments to Iraq and such that get into the way and then they hibernate a little

I always have at least 2 vettes one of wich is always in some state of dissasyembly :gap
but dont kid your self Im a poor military man And I have my corvettes becaseu I love them and I do almost all my own work on them the only thing I cant do is frame repair I can just about everything else you could think of.

but that is one thing about this car that is funny im telling you that price shock you are getting is inflated prices of parts you will never need. and since you baby the cars im not to sure you would break anything anyway, The ZR1 needs to breath, so you need to streach her legs every once in a while or things like the fuel injectors start to break from not being used.

If you get it and drive it this car will not disapoint you!

Grizzly,
I see your point, you have to go with what YOU are comfortable with. I’d hate to see any Corvette owner not 100% comfortable with their Vette purchase.

Happy hunting for that car that fits you, it’s out their somewhere!

B17Crew

I agree, personal education is an important key to being a happy owner, with just about anything. And now with the internet, with forums and sites such as the CAC and ZR1.net, it has never been easier. If you have problems or a question, you can pop it up on here, and almost all of the time someone will be able to help you. Never before have car owners had such ease of answers and opinions from experienced and real-world people! It really is a new frontier, as far as car maintenance goes.

As for making the Z a daily driver, the reliability of the LT-5 is another thing that attracts me to the car. The LT-5 was designed to be run hard and be able to take it. Just look at the endurance record (175 mph for 24 hours)--which was made with a bone stock LT-5. Opening her up keeps everything loose, or else all those cams get gummed up. I've had guys tell me that their performance improved greatly the more they punched it after purchasing the car used, because it hadn't been run hard in awhile. ZR1.net has a "100,000+ mile club". Check it out.

I totally agree with you, Grizzly, in that I think it is a sin not to drive your 'vette. That is yet another reason why the ZR-1 appeals to me.

Brett

Ive owned and 87 vert, a 78 SA, and now a 90 ZR-1.

I Love my Z, people that are not familuar with Z's are always complaining that they are so expensive to fix... Well most of the car is a regular C4 with a wider body. Yes the engine is different, but its bullet proof, and there are many that have in the mid 100K to 200K mile range without any major problems.

Do not let the LT5 scare you away, there are many good guys that own ZR-1s that are always willing to lend a hand or advice.

I am sure the Z is no more expensive than your 67', well I know the C2's are more money to 1) buy, 2) keep original! :)

I know cause I want one, but they are too pricey for my buget right now!

Everyone Needs at Least Two

I wouldn't want to confuse you Pfrogs but a pristine 67 coupe is not a daily driver. Drive them, but don't abuse them. It has some road rash from being driven, but if you have ever had to clean one up after a day in the rain you would understand why I'm looking for additional car to drive more often. I was 15 when I saw my first SWC, and the Sting Ray body style was a dream ever since. Now I have it and I'm going to keep it.

If you think babying a car is just not taking it out in the rain, so be it. Occasionally I have to prove to some punk in a rice burner that neither me or my car is dead yet. But as I pointed out before the the Z's are certainly going to appreciate through the years. Drive them for a while then clean them up, put them out to pasture, and by that time there will be some deals in Z06's to beat on.

You see what I getting at? Make your investment work for you. If you can do your own work, which most of us seem to do for the most part, when the values start to rise again change her into a thing to be admired on Sunday drives. Sure beats the hell out of the stock market!

Who knows maybe some day I will find someone who wants to swap a split windowed Fuelie for a 405 ZR1. Maybe I should start geting ready..........................

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom