Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Repairing Front Urethane Cover

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Hi Ya'll! As you all may know we are getting ready to start prepping the body for a repaint on the '81 and the front bumper cover is in excellent shape except for some slight pitting into the Urethane piece. I hate to really replace the whole front cover just for these few little areas. I have looked all over and can't seem to find any product to "fill" this area properly and haven't had any luck with any vette body books. The front pointed area is fine, it just above this area on the flat surface that shows some pitting into the Urethane. Any suggestions?

If your are filling in "pits" not cracks a two part glazing putty will work just fine(dolphin glaze is one example other companys have their own name for it) It is basically a higher grade body filler. I have repaired many covers over the years with this stuff and it works well on urethane and plastic covers as well as metal and fiberglass. Is the pitting due to deterioration(decomposition) of the urethane or stone impacts? If its too far gone you may be better off with a replacment.

Its mainly due to sun exposure/deterioration. Definitely not because of rocks and such. The car sat for 7 years before we got ahold of it and the dingledork let it set out in the sun. Luckily, part of the body was shaded by the house so the interior is pretty good. Could you explain more what "dolphin glaze" is? We do have planned a complete frame up restore on the car but it doesn't need that just now - so just want to repaint it so it looks better in the meantime.

I am refering to a glazing putty (not the red stuff) that is similar to body filler in that it is composed of a filler and uses a hardner added to it and is mixed together to produce a very fine putty that will easily adhere to the bumper and fill the small cracks and divits. You will have to go to a body shop supply house to find it. Just ask for a two part glazing putty it comes by many names you will wind up with a container of putty and a tube of hardner. Enough to repair all your chevys and then some!

Good luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom