Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replace front tires only, or all 4?

fhturner

Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Hey Everybody--

I currently have the tires that came on my 2000 coupe when I got it at 60K miles (now just over 66K): non-EMT Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front and Falken FK-451s on the rear. The Eagles need replacing, but the Falkens still have a good bit of tread left. I'm leaning heavily toward the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s to replace the fronts. First off, any "objections" to this tire? It seems to be an excellent tire, and is fairly reasonably priced. Second, given that the Tire Rack has a $75 fuel debit card if you purchase all 4 Goodyear tires, should I:

1. Buy just the fronts and worry about the rears whenever they run out?
2. Buy all 4 and replace all 4 now to have a matching set?
3. Buy all 4 now to get the discount, but only install the fronts; install the rears when the Falkens wear out?
4. Forego the GS-D3s for now, and get some cheapo fronts (are the Falkens cheap?) so that both front and rear will wear out close to the same time?
5. None of the above? If #5, alternative suggestions?

Also, couple more Q's: Because I have not had a 4-wheel alignment since I purchased the car, should I do this upon installation of the new tires, or does it matter? And, does anyone know anything about or have experience with these Falkens?

Thanks,
Fred

If you can, I would go with #3 for the fuel discount. You'll be needing the rears anyway.

Maybe you can sell the used rears while there's still tread on them to someone who can't buy new ones. You'll get some money out of them instead of the casings when your done. It could cover the mounting and balancing plus.

You have a good point about having new fresh tires all around and all at once.

I'm not sure about which brands. Someone else can comment on that.
Chuck

Hi Fred, you have asked some good questions and I don't have any definitive answers but would like to input my thoughts for your C5. First, I don't know how you drive your Corvette, low and slow, normal, aggressively, or pedal to the metal. Second, living on the Gulf Coast, I assume you do drive in the rain quite often. Third, I have no clue what a Falken tire is as I have never heard of them. Given all that, I would certainly make sure I have a set of matched tires on my Corvette as you may get some squirrely handling with different tread patterns,grip,etc with the rain and if you drive up to seven tenths. The F1 tire is an excellent tire and will give you the desired handling in adverse conditions. So, sell the Falkens for what you can get for them and get the four corners handling the same. I run the EMTs as I am a coward to trust my luck for getting a flat within walking distance of a tire company that knows how to treat the rims during dismounting and remounting the tires. Last, not knowing how the car was maintained during its early life, I would definitely do a four wheel alignment after putting new tires on it. Just my 2c worth and hopefully I have given you some food for thought. Good luck and happy Corvetting.
Paul

My fronts were toast but the backs still had tread when I opted for four new Michelin PS A/S ZP's and a 4-whl alignment. Couldn't be happier.

Maybe you could buy all four and sell off the backs to defray the big downstroke. By all means, with the cost involved, get the alignment.

And I've driven through Birmingham on my way to Florida. Or should I say "flew" through Birmingham. You good ole boys know how to drive. :D

I think you should always get 4 new tires and always use the same brand and model tire. After all, it's not a commuter, it's a high performance sports car, so keep it that way.

After my research...

With 35,000 on my '99 coupe, I researched this question over months of shopping. I believe I made a good decision a few months ago when I replaced all original Goodyear EMTs with Michelin Pilot Sport zero pressures. There was no logical reason to give up the run flat feature for no gain that I could perceive... at least the way I drive. I drive in all weather, moderately and reasonably... less aggressively than on my earlier Vettes in the 1960s and later.

The Michelins provide a more solid feel when cornering and changing lanes even at low speeds, more control at highway speeds, and are less noisy. The Michelins take bumps and potholes at 10 to 60 mph by rolling over them instead of hitting them hard with a jarring feedback. The Michelins are certainly much better in snow and any wet conditions.

Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom