Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement of carpet and center console

L82 Shark

Corvette
1979 Red L-82
I have ordered new carpet for our vette plus new leather seats. My question is what do I need to know to replace the carpet? I guess any do's and don'ts from someone who has been there. :upthumbs

Also, one more question. Someone took out the center console before we got the car and did not know what they were doing. The tangs on the back side of the center console are broken off so there is a big gap between it and the emergency brake cover. It was reinstalled this way and it has bugged me ever since we picked up the car. What is the right way to remove this and reinstall? New parts are on order.;shrug

If anyone needs to know it is a all black interior and parts are coming from Corvette Central.

Thanks

The carpet is a fairly easy job. You will need to lay the carpet out for a while to let it go flat. Otherwise it will fight you. Heat usually helps though looking at where you are this time of year, that might be an issue.

Measure twice, cut once. I know this is an old saying but you'll kick yourself if you cut too much off. Fitted doesn't mean perfect fit.

While replacing the carpet, put insulation down. There were a couple of threads on the subject a while back. Here is one of them. A lot of the pictures are gone but the info is still good.

Order the assembly instruction manual (AIM) for your year. The AIM shows how the interior was installed at St. Louis. The AIM is not a How-To, but it's an excellent reference source.

:)

Hey L82 Shark, You are going to want to put down sound barrier/insulation. I used a product I bought at Lowes/Home Depot. It is basically bubblewrap between foil. You can buy a roll for about $30. Do a search on the center console replacement. You will be able to see how it goes together when you see the new parts.

while the carpet is out check out the floors for rust. i had some minor surface rust on mine and ended up doing the whole floor with por15(if youve never heard of por15 check it out its a great product). i opted for a jute padding with a foil backing. the carpet wasnt all that hard to install i didnt have to trim it at all and the fit was very good.

A heat gun is your friend when it comes to carpet install.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom