Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacement of universal joints in half shafts and drive shafts

J

John 1

I purchased a 1978 silver anniversary corvette
that has been stored for 8 years. I have checked
the half shafts and drive shaft and they don't
have any grease fittings. They must be the original u joints that were installed at the factory.
The car only has 20620 actual miles on
it,but all joints look dry and I would like to
replace them. I have purchased the parts but
have been told that it is a very difficult and
precise way of replacing the half shaft u joints. Is this true, and if so what do I need to do, or
where should I take it to have them replaced?

I'll let someone else fill you in on the u-joint question for your shark, but the u-joints without Zerk fittings are stronger than those with fittings. I don't think the factory did it that way. ;)

_ken :w

It is not all that big of a deal to replace them. Just because you don't have grease fittings does not mean they are the original ones. You can buy them with or without, and without are considered stronger.

The key to putting them in right, is to make perfectly sure that the joint and caps are fully centered in each yoke. It is possible to have one pushed just a tad too far in, and still get the clips on. If this happens, you will put it all back together and it will either vibrate or make noise (been there done it). So, just line it all up, take your time, and follow the instructions as laid out in the repair manuals.

However, if you currently don't have any noise, or excessive vibrations coming out of the half shafts and drive shaft, don't fix what aint broke!

And.....

It's a good idea to mark the driveshafts & yokes & U joint clamps with a small punch to retain alignment/balance so the way they came out is the way they will go back in
( eliminate another source of wobbles).

The U joints might LOOK funky from the outside, and if you loose sleep over them pull them out, when you take one of the caps off you will know if they are dry or not.

I agree with Chris.. taking em out is no big deal ( unless you hate to get dirty ).

If you do not have a LARGE vice or a press & a way to clean the shafts up..let a machine shop press them out & in.

( I know Chris..spending other peoples money again)

My .02

Mike

John,

Here is a thread from the past with some really good discussion about U-Joints.. Just click HERE

BudD
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom