Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replacement tires

T

tcgoblue

I have a 98 C5 and I plan on replacing the Goodyear run flats once I take it out of storage. The car really seems to pull from side to side with these tires and I've already had the alignment checked a few times since it felt so out of alignment. Anyway, what are the most widely used or recommended replacement tires? I've heard that the Michelin Pilots are a very good Corvette replacement tire? I would love some feedback from the experts out there as I am new to this forum though I have been reading it for a while. Thanks

HI there,
The Runflats do follow grooves, and depressions in the road more, due to the stiff side walls, and alot less flex in them.
The alignment is critical to correct handling.
There are many quality tires out there for Corvette.
I have used many, and most give excellent results.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

tires

I have been runnig the BF Goodrich G Force Radials for about a year now and I have had great results so far. By the way if memory serves me correctly I think Michelin manufactures the BF Goodrich tires now.

As said before, sounds like the tires are just following the road....... Try to switch to a softer tire.

Following the road

Also keep in mind that wider tires follow ruts in the road more. I've noticed the same thing with a Trans Am with definitely-not-runflat tires on it.

$$$$

I just priced tires for my vette , I know money is not allways the determing factor but--- mish,245's,xgt24 pilot $ 231.70, 275's are $338.80 . So, I opted for Goodyear's f-1. Not run flats, 245's were $161.98 with tax, and the 275's were $171.33 .I have 38000mi on the f-1 run flats. they would have lasted longer but I let the alignment get out. It never pulled left or right. Drove great and I did not notice the inside of the right front tire wearing out. The rest of the tires had mabe 5000m left, but I like my tires 4 at a time. btw, the f-1 prices include mounting, balancing,taxes-- not bad :cool

There has been a thread on the F1 steel sidewall killing the tire sensors, did you get steel side walls?

Dad they are 245-40-17 & 275-49-18 not sure about the steel sidwalls. they are not run flats.

Do you have them mounted yet ? If so, does you DIC shoe your air pressures ?

There is even a GM Tech Bulletin about Goodyear tires that do NOT allow air pressure sensors to work.

Also be advised that non-run flats could destroy air pressure sensors when you have a flat. Also, hope you know NOT to use "Flat fix cans" in case of a flat, they destroy air pressure sensors. You can carry an air compressor and patch kit (plugs).

Good luck, I hear they DO ride better.

Oldvetter

Yes they are working. thanks for the heads up on the fix-a-flat. They do ride a lot smother and I understand they weigh less too. I think I am going to put one of those small pumps and patch kits in the car.

Replacement tires

The best tire I have found is the Bridgestone 730. I put 285-40-17's all the way around, and the car rides great! No tracking problems and no road noise like theGoodyears. By the way, they look great and aggressive.

Oldvetter,

The sensor failure is not quick, it took a few thousand miles to kill the sensors. The thing you're looking for is the sidewall construction, is it steel or fabric? Sorry to keep picking at this but the sensors are expensive, well over what you can save on the tires, plus the error message gets tiresome.

I fully believe the benifits of the non runflats as far as ride, noise level and adhesion, but then I don't like a computer nagging at me to sevice the tire monitor system.

Dad,

I'm checking into it. I've contacted the corvette club I belong to and they don't have any negitive info. Some of them have the michlein's,a couple have nippo's. I am going to contact the dealer tomorrow. thanks alot for the warnings. who needs trouble.

so is there a certain tire or type of tire (other than run-flats) that is ok for the sensors?

C5 non- Run flat tires?

Forum Home » Technical Forums » 1997 - 2002 Technical Discussion » C5 non- Run flat tires?

This is the thread that I was referring to, and my best guess is that any tire that does not have a steel fabric in the side wall would run ok.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

GM info bulletin #00-03-10-005 states that some tires can not have the sensors reprogramed after tire installation. One such tire is the Goodyear Eagle F-1. This is an all steel case construction. If tire is not Goodyear F-1 GS EMT it is not OEM. The GS designates no steel case. ERvidently the tread may have steel, but not the tread and sidewalls.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a consensus of opinion as to what patch/plug kit and compressor is the best to carry?:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom