Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing 1982 Headers & Looking for Advice

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

My new headers just came in today. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice when it comes to installation. Is there something I need to make sure I do, or something I should not do.

Basically, i'd like to learn from your mistakes.

Thanks everyone!

(by the way, for my "other car" i joined a forum, and they aren't NEARLY as good as CAC. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!)

1) It definitely helps if you have someone helping you.
2) Get the car up on jackstands so you've got plenty of wiggle room under there.
3) Someone should feed the headers up from the bottom. You'll probably have to rock/rotate them in on the drivers side I think. Passenger side is pretty clean on my car. But I don't have AC, so I don't know if that will pose a problem
4) The person on the bottom feeds 'em up. The person up top grabs a hold of 'em and inserts a header bolt on each end. Then that person slips the gasket on, then starts the bolts into the head just enough to get it to hang on it's own.

I know that a couple of the bolts are really nasty as far as getting a wrench in there, as the bolt head pretty much touches the header tube until it's threaded entirely into the head. I believe on the headers you have you'll find that those trouble spots are already nicked a little bit to make it easier. I believe those pesky bolts are on the driver side, but there might be one on the passenger side as well.

When getting 'em all started, it helps to have that person underneath the car holding it place and occasionally giving it a wiggle so you can get the bolts started.

Overall, it's not a bad nor hard job. Besides the pesky bolts mentioned above, the other potentially tricky part is getting the existing exhaust to mate up nicely with the collector. That can take a fair amount of finagling as well.

For fun, once you have them mounted, you can always fire the car up just to hear what it sounds like with "open headers". heheheh...The neighbors love that!! :L But don't do that for too long as you don't want to melt your underside!

(Oh yeah, two last comments... 1) Make sure you are exempt from any emissions testing! 2) Do a good job on cleaning the mating surface on the heads (and headers to while yer at it) to ensure you get a good seal between the heads and the gasket.)

Has anyone done this on a car with AC?
I'm wondering how well the Hooker Comp headers will fit with a stock AC bracket.

Thanks!

You'd think the manufacturer would have that information, w/ directions to get you through any situation.
When I put Hookers on my 74 years ago they had great directions. No AC though..
Good luck.. should sound great.

Has anyone done this on a car with AC?
I'm wondering how well the Hooker Comp headers will fit with a stock AC bracket.

Thanks!

They'll fit- you'll need a spacer though. Spend some time at Home Depot and you'll find one.

Agreed you will need a spacer. I used Black Jack headers and they sell it for extra$$. However my mechanic built his own spacer out of billet for a better look. I bought all thru the Summit catalog. Good luck

You'd think the manufacturer would have that information, w/ directions to get you through any situation.
When I put Hookers on my 74 years ago they had great directions. No AC though..
Good luck.. should sound great.

74 years ago! Wow that's a special Vette! :L :joke

I am installing Hedman headers on my 82 with A/C and have been told I will need to make a small dent on the passangers side to clear the A/C bracket. Hedman sells a special bracket but it's not needed unless you don't want a little dent in the headers. Other 82 guys I know did the dent "Mod" and all was good.
I think this is my first post here. Very nice site!!

I intalled headers on my 75 with AC, you'll need to do a little modification to the A/C bracket but it's pretty easy, just takes a little time.

I had to use a grinder on the bottom side of the bracket to get enough clearance around the pipe and make two spacers to space it away from the motor. Go to the hardware store or Home Depot and buy some 6" pieces of 1/2 inch pipe. You'll have to cut them to the right lengths to space the bracket away from the motor. I can't remember what mine turned out to be but make the ends nice and square so they fit flush to the header. If you had access to a lathe it's really easy to do but you can do it with a grinder without much trouble. Also be prepared to have to get a different A/C belt, the length will most likely be different.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom