Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing 2 'Y' Pipes w/Duals ???

mvftw

Corvette
'78 Real S/A, L82, 4spd
I'm planning on replacing my factory 2 'Y' Pipes & Cat. With a True Dual, No Cat from Mid-America or Corvette Central. My ? is, is there a kit for the hangers for the left side and will the factory right side hangers still work or do I need new hangers for both sides? Do they supply these hangers? Please don't respond about plugging the cat out...

I had this done last summer and I got the pipes from Mid-America. I got the mufflers from Borla which are now not made anymore anyway, I just gave the parts to a shop and they used hangers as needed.My Exhaust

I'm not worrying about the mufflers, because it has 2 hangers, but I'm concerned about the hanger by the transmission. It only connects on the right side. I'll call the supplies, it will proberly use one from a '74, where they used dual exhaust.

SLICKMAN said:
I had this done last summer and I got the pipes from Mid-America. I got the mufflers from Borla which are now not made anymore anyway, I just gave the parts to a shop and they used hangers as needed.My Exhaust

Wow!! I was just looking at your picture, SLICKMAN, and I see that you are really lying low to the ground. I mean, your exaust seems to be only inches off the ground. Maybe it's just a bad point of view, but is this right? Have you ever had any problems with this like bottoming out?

It only looks that way from the angle of the pic. It's about 6 inch's off the ground which is plenty.. Never had any problems and there are many sports car's out there that have half that clearance and have no problems.. That the way it is with sports cars, low clearance..... Rember, this is no a hot rod....

Yup, I figured it might have been the angle. Anyways, it looks good!! :)

SLICKMAN, I was thinking, you did this true dual switch. But besides that, isn't your Vette all stock? Didn't you have to cut the original exaust because it went through the differential's cross member? So now you can't go back to stock exaust?

It was all stock and it can be put back to stock very easy. The only place it goes through the cross member is by the tranny. That's with all the C3's. Matter of fact, basically all the C3 exhaust systems are the same.

Yes, but didn't you have to cut the exaust pipes? Not that it matters to get a repro or replacement, but that's what I figured.

Yikes!

:eek I just measured mine...

I've got 4.25 inches at the chambered section under the seating area and at the rear clamps I have 3 inches. That's it.
I knew it was low...but I didn't realize HOW low!
Heidi

*measured with a see-through quilting ruler resting against the exhaust.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom