Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing bushings on upper A Arms

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
The upper A arms are in need of new bushings. I want to use the graphite impregnated poly bushings but have no idea how to undo the two massive nuts on either end of the crossbar that attahces to the cradle. How have you done it? Do I need special tools or do I have to take it to a shop to be done?

No special tools. Just a wrench big enough to fit. The crossbar is aluminum so the torque on those fiber-lock nuts is not much. Just back them off a turn to loosen and the remove the A-arm. Then with the unit in a bench vice remove the nuts and slide the cross bar out. NOTE: photo or mark the locations of the washers. The unit has three large washers and one small. I forget the procedure but it is important where these all go. When you see it, you'll understand.

Islander said:
The upper A arms are in need of new bushings. I want to use the graphite impregnated poly bushings but have no idea how to undo the two massive nuts on either end of the crossbar that attahces to the cradle. How have you done it? Do I need special tools or do I have to take it to a shop to be done?

Removing the nuts is the easeyest part. I had to drill out the rubber in a circle to loosen the excisting bushing enought to push the center bar out.

If you are careful to mark positions before disassembly you should not need a realignment.

Good luck,

MBDiagMan said:
If you are careful to mark positions before disassembly you should not need a realignment.

Good luck,
I disagree, if the old bushings were worn (sloppy) an alignment is an inexpensive way to ensure decent tire life.

As already stated removing the nuts is the easy part. I used a small press to remove the old bushings. My bushings were in good shape, however, I decided to install new bushings during my D44 swap and since I had the whole kit I replaced the front bushings during the installation of my lowering kit. The front end on the C4s is relatively easy to work on. Remember to support your spring!

Mike

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom