Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing C3 Brake Pads

A novice can get awfully frustrated while trying to install new brake pads because the darned pistons won't stay depressed long enough to insert the pads. He'll push one piston in and the other piston pops out and when he pushes that piston back in the other piston pops out (???). The reason the pistons won't stay depressed is because there is brake fluid behind the pistons. By taking the master cylinder lid off and opening the bleeder screw the fluid behind the pistons can escape and the pistons can be depressed long enough to install the new pads. Here's how you do it:

1. Remove the old pads.

2. Remove the master cylinder lid and OPEN the bleeder screw.

3. The OPEN bleeder screw will allow the fluid behind the pistons to squirt out as you use a 6" wide steel putty knife to depress the pistons and install the pads.

4. Once the new pads have been installed and the cotter key put back in close and torque the bleeder screw to 90 in/lbs and top off the master cylinder.

There again...how NOT to do it!!!! Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There again...how NOT to do it!!!! Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I agree, it is out of order and missing steps

Are there any novices anymore?

AGAIN it happened to him and he assumes the rest of the world was as bright as him

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It may seem like a real easy job to C3 veterans like you and me but a LOT of new C3 owners have an awful time installing new brake pads. The reason is they just don't realize the fluid behind the pistons has to go somewhere when the pistons are depressed so they try and try and try to force their new pads in and eventually get them installed. And never understand WHY they were so hard to install. So I am not trying to teach you seasoned veterans but rather teach the new C3 owners who have very little experience.

It may seem like a real easy job to C3 veterans like you and me but a LOT of new C3 owners have an awful time installing new brake pads. The reason is they just don't realize the fluid behind the pistons has to go somewhere when the pistons are depressed so they try and try and try to force their new pads in and eventually get them installed. And never understand WHY they were so hard to install. So I am not trying to teach you seasoned veterans but rather teach the new C3 owners who have very little experience.
If you really cared about proper training you would direct them to a vehicle specific service manual
OR
The nearest licensed service center...

If you really cared about proper training you would direct them to a vehicle specific service manual OR the nearest licensed service center...

Or to you to learn the "sledgehammer" method? Rather than bashing me and my threads how about starting a thread of your own and contribute something to your forum. As you believe you have a wealth of knowledge how about sharing some of that knowledge with us?

I do it the wrong way. I unbolt the caliper and pull out the old pads, insert a new pads, and squeeze both pads by hand to retract the pistons. Then slip the caliper back on the disc. You need to check the level in the master cylinder and may need to suction some fluid back out of it to keep from overflowing the master when squeezing the pistons.

They also make those little piston holding thingy tool you can get from your favorite Corvette parts dealer.

As you believe you have a wealth of knowledge how about sharing some of that knowledge with us?

You know I might just do that
But since my "wealth of knowledge" covers Chevettes to Corvettes
1500s to 6500s (GMC/Chevrolet)
Ford model Bs up to F350s
Garden tractors to earth movers
Low voltage on just about anything
Industrial machine repair and PLC

That's just for starters
Not sure how this has anything to do with C3s thou

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom