Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

replacing removable top bolts

M

montanabob

Has anyone replaced the rear bolts on their removable top? How difficult of a job is it? The head on one of mine is starting to strip out and I don't want to get stuck not being able to remove the top.

Thanks,
Bob

I think the rear bolts can be either unscrewed or pushed out.
The front bolts are pressed into a retainer so they won't drop on your lap. I have my glass here & I"ll see if I can get one of the bolts out. I'll let you know.

Montanabob,
The rear bolts will back right out. They are held in by a rubber bushing.

Rabbit,

thanks for the info. I'll check them out this weekend.

Bob

I just ordered two front bolts from Corvette Central for my 89. I bought a new acrylic roof which doesn't like the 14 year old bolts up front. By the time I got the roof aligned, I have damaged the bolts.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get these out? With the roof off, can you just push them out towards the interior or do you have to take some of the plastic trim off the windshield? A local dealer wanted $150.00 to do this and the bolts are only $4.00 a piece!

Vetterat, You have a few pieces to take off. You'll have to remove the plastic covers, couple of phillips head screws & then remove the visors (sunshades)
The trim, (windshield) will have to come off as well as the mirror.

You can pry the retainer & bolt out of the support using a flat bladed screwdriver, very carefully.

Put the bolt into the silencer & align the retainer with a rib on the support. Use a "C" clamp & small socket to push the reatiner into place.

This works on a 95. 89 I don't know.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom