Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Replacing Rocker Channels

BigTom1957

Corvette
1981 coupe
I need to replace the rocker channels on 1981 and was wondering if any one has done this and could let me know how tough a job it is? Of course the body is off, I can see a few spot welds and see that they are bonded in, I found the channels at C.C. I also found weld over channels but dont really like leaving rusty parts in the car. TIA BigTom

Big Tom,

If you are talking about the metal rocker supports that tie the front bird cage to the rear section they are spot welded everywhere. The front of the cage has an outside brace that is welded and the under side is spot welded to the body mount plate in the front. I have taken them out and not much fun puting them back, it is not a job for the novice.

If you lift the body completely off the bird cage, check some of the older vette mags they tell you how to do this, then you can access the entire channel with ease. Still a real pain to put in. I have a pair that I removed from a wrecked '81, unlesss you get the entire body separated from the cage there are spot welds that you can not access.

Bottom line it's a lot of work.

tcxd40

Thanks for the reply, Im thinking I will just use the weld in pieces and try to get some type of rust killer in to stop the rust. The car will hardley ever see bad weather again and spend the rest of its life being pampered and stored in the garage.

BigTom,

I have found that Eastwood has some nice products for stopping /converting rust. I have used both the Rustolem products and Eastwood's rust encapsultor with good results.

Good Luck

tcxd40

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom