Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing speakers in an '82

Flowjoe

Corvette
1970 - LT1, 1982 Standard
Ours still has the stock AM/FM/cassette and does work (it's nice no one hacked up the car to install aftermarket stuff). I am having difficulty verifying if the stock system would still be 10 ohms as in years past - can anyone verify this?

The dash speakers say Polk (keep forgetting to check the rears) but the sound is weak making me suspect that the impedance does not match the head unit. Did GM source their speakers from Polk?

There are a couple of things here...

First, GM (and most manufacturers) typically use high impedance speakers with low wattage to generate the sound.

Second, sound quality then was terrible compared to what the manufacturers offer today. So, I would say that you should expect treble heavy, brassy sound from even the best early 80s OEM stereo.

Polk speakers are aftermarket. Delco would have been OEM.

If you still have the OEM deck, don't expect the same quality you would hear in a new car even with new speakers. If sound quality is important, your best bet is to go aftermarket. The front OEM speaker size doesn't allow for speakers that will produce great sound- they are small and without an enclosure behind them, they won't create a lot of depth in sound. The rear speakers are larger- but have the same problem as they fire into carpet and lose their sound depth without an enclosure. Your options are to get a sub woofer or go custom enclosure to get the most depth in sound.

All that said, even without a sub or enclosure, an aftermarket stereo will have more depth in sound than OEM.

Hope that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw you are still OEM on the deck unit. :)

Sounds like you also want to stay near OEM.

Look up RetroSound. They offer near OE spec high impedance speakers. Polk is not OE- so you are correct to assume it won't sound the same.

There are a couple of things here...

First, GM (and most manufacturers) typically use high impedance speakers with low wattage to generate the sound.

Second, sound quality then was terrible compared to what the manufacturers offer today. So, I would say that you should expect treble heavy, brassy sound from even the best early 80s OEM stereo.

Polk speakers are aftermarket. Delco would have been OEM.

If you still have the OEM deck, don't expect the same quality you would hear in a new car even with new speakers. If sound quality is important, your best bet is to go aftermarket. The front OEM speaker size doesn't allow for speakers that will produce great sound- they are small and without an enclosure behind them, they won't create a lot of depth in sound. The rear speakers are larger- but have the same problem as they fire into carpet and lose their sound depth without an enclosure. Your options are to get a sub woofer or go custom enclosure to get the most depth in sound.

All that said, even without a sub or enclosure, an aftermarket stereo will have more depth in sound than OEM.

Hope that helps...

LOL. I don't expect much in hi-fidelity from the head unit but let's face it...automobiles are less than perfect acoustic environments and C-3s even less so. Mostly want to be able to listen to terrestrial radio (FM).

I recall the big deal when GM used Bose speakers for "premium" sound in the C-4s so wondered if they had sourced speakers from Polk, based on your response it would seem not. Also, thanks for confirming my suspicions on the high impedance rating.

Just saw you are still OEM on the deck unit. :)

Sounds like you also want to stay near OEM.

Look up RetroSound. They offer near OE spec high impedance speakers. Polk is not OE- so you are correct to assume it won't sound the same.

Yeah, I'd like to keep the OEM head unit. I like the original look and the fact that the wiring (and the dash) is not hacked up...kind of amazing after 32 years. I will look into RetroSound - thanks!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom