Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Steering wheel on '80 w/ Tilt-n-tele

Evolution1980

Administrator
Corvette
ZZ4, 700R4, Steeroids rack & pinion, VB&P Brakes
How much of a PITA is this job? I hear the spring in the column used for the telescoping is compressed enough that if you don't do it right, you'lll have a spring projected through your skull. How dramatic is that spring? What kind of tools and time is involved?

To just change the Wheel is not that big of a deal..

• pop the horn button off
  • Remove the 3 phillips screws that hold the contact assy. on
  • Remove the extented 3 prong shim and the flat shims (if there are any)
  • remove the Locking Telescopic ring
  • Remove the dozen or so small phillips holding the Steering Wheel on.
This is from memory, but I think I've covered all the steps, I just had SSautoSports re-leather the steering wheel a couple of months ago, sent it to :BOW Steve and had it back in about 5 to 6 weeks :D and it is gorgeous silver leather like new ;)

BudD
:w

I just went out and took a look at Rare.. BE SURE TO PULL THE FUSE OR DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST :(,
Also, there are 2 phillips head screws (very small) that screw into a Star type device that is used for the telescopic locking ring that need to be removed too before the locking ring assy. comes off.
Age is a wonderful thing, I almost remembered everything :L :L

1) How much to re-leather the steering wheel? Eckler's wants $200 for a refurbed. 5-6 weeks though??? I don' tknow that I can go that long without my car. Here in Cleveland, we only get about 8 real weeks of truly truly good weather. 5-6 weeks and it might as well still be snowing :eyerole

2) No mention of the spring. Does it not come into play? Since you take the locking ring off, what is keeping the spring assembly in the column?

Thanks for the input so far...

To get to the spring you need to take the steering wheel completely apart. The spring is clear down below the turn signal assy. just above where the turn signal handle comes out.

Contact SSautoSports in our Supporting Vendors forum. Steve gives Corvette Action Center members a discount. I sent him my steering wheel and in about 5 weeks or so it came back looking new, it was silver leather, so I don't know if it cost more or not, but it was less than $200. Be sure to let Steve know you are a member here ;)

Steve offered to send my a loaner steering wheel, but I declined, of course that was back in January when we have our winter rain off and on and very short days :D

BudD
:w

Thanks much for the details... I'll be looking into it in a couple of days...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom