Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Replacing the rear body mounts on 1976 Corvette Stingray

B

Billypoot

I was hoping someone can show me (with pictures) how to replace the rear body mounts and cushions on both sides. How do you determine it the mounts are bad?

Remove the bolts from the bottom of the frame and pull the cushion and the spacers out. Count the spacers as you will to replace with the same number. There is a nut in side the care that is held in place with a nut holder. spray it it with nut loosener an work the bolt back and forth slowly. If you break the nut holder it is hard to get to and nearly imposable to hold the nut. When the bolt is out lift the back of the body just enough to get the spacer out/in. To much and you may crack the fiber glass.

Thanks for the help.
I have attached a picture of the frame. the support to the right on the frame is the one you are talking about. The rubber support sits on top of it.

Why are you only changing the back ones. If the body is saging becareful it could be the frame. I found this out the hard way. That is why the frame is being welded

...How do you determine it the mounts are bad?

Eyeball them. Does the old rubber body mount look like it has been ozoned to death? If #4s are bad, you can bet the remaining mounts are also bad.

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) has a diagram of all the mounts and shows the factory installation, including shims and bolts. While the AIM is not a how-to, it's handy to have. Order one for your year if you don't have one.

:)

Thanks, the frame is solid, the brackets are rotted and the rear bushings are dried out. I think the fronts have been replaced. The rear end is real loose.

I have attached a picture of the frame. the support to the right on the frame is the one you are talking about. The rubber support sits on top of it.

Why are you only changing the back ones. If the body is saging becareful it could be the frame. I found this out the hard way. That is why the frame is being welded

My rear frame mounts were solid but the cage nut inside the car was rusted beyond repair. I have a convertible and had to remove the deck lid springs to get to the cage nuts. I then had to replace the cage nuts and their cage. It required a lot of work because of the two-piece body construction in that area. I had to perform fiberglass work to trap the cage rivets. It can be done so don't give up. Just be patient and don't take any unnecessary short cuts.

Thanks, I will try to remember to stay calm.

My rear frame mounts were solid but the cage nut inside the car was rusted beyond repair. I have a convertible and had to remove the deck lid springs to get to the cage nuts. I then had to replace the cage nuts and their cage. It required a lot of work because of the two-piece body construction in that area. I had to perform fiberglass work to trap the cage rivets. It can be done so don't give up. Just be patient and don't take any unnecessary short cuts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom