Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Restoring Tail light lenses

repinsnug

Corvette
1979 silver
Hey everyone the tail light lenses on my 78 are a bit faded and I think they could look like new with a few coats clear coat spray paint applied. Is this a bad idea? Should I sand the old clear coat off (by hand no tools and not on the metal)? I am willing to put in some time to do this I know I could easily buy some new ones but I really would like to keep the money.

Thanks

As does 3M. I've had good luck with the 3M plastic polishing system.
autogeek_2070_12801701
autogeek_2068_9649518

I am not opposed to trying the polish first as I would like to spend as little time in my schools paint both as possible. Thanks guys when I get around to it ill let you know how it works out for me

There's no clear coat on your lenses unless a PO sprayed them. They're just plastic. Polish and elbow grease will make them look a little better but remember -- originals are 30 years old.

:)

I don't think my grandfather messed with them at all so there should not be any clear coat on them. I think I will try this head/tail light restoring stuff I found at the store today.

I think I will try this head/tail light restoring stuff I found at the store today.
If it's any type of paste, it's likely just plastic polish as we recommended.
:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom