Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Results of a Gas Line Leak

JAKE

Corvette
1996 388 LT1
100_0550.jpg

I guess you can say I'm back in the market for a replacement.

Jake

Damn Man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess that Sucks Big Time!!!:hb:hb:hb

Gas Leaks and Hot Cars don't mix!!:eek:hnoes:eek:hnoes
Sorry Man,What a Bummer!!:puke

OK Now that the subject has come up I have a question. When I step in my garage a get the smell of gas. I thought that it was my 99 Olds since we have just returned from a quick trip to upper New Hampshire. Seeing your post makes sick for you. We have some very knowledgeable people on this forum. What I am asking is for them to post any gas leak problems they have had and the fix for it. We might turn your tragic experience into a tech article on gas leaks and there cure.

:eek

Jake,

Sorry for your loss!!! That pic turned my stomach!! :puke Do you know what happend to the fuel line? Or what caused the leak?

I don't know what caused the leak, but I did do an autospy before the car was towed away.

There are two fuel lines running near the #6/#8 spark plugs; one's Supply and the other is Return. The supply line sprung the leak and once it got spark or heat from somewhere (probably exhaust) the fire erupted and that line kept feeding the fire.

The flames were easily 10-12 feet into the air. The local Fire Department trucks were fighting another warehouse fire at the time and when a truck finally arrived, my car was a done deal.

Two front tires exploded, windshield and hatch glass exploded, as the fire worked it's way back toward the rear of the car. The fire got as far as burning up the rear hatch carpet, consuming everything in between, before the FD arrived.

Two days later (tow hadn't arrived), that fuel line was STILL LEAKING GASOLINE!

Now I'm just waiting for The Hartford to finish the paperwork and send me a check.

I have some more pics is anyone's interested.

Jake

It's so easy to nick one of the 0-ring seals on the fuel lines and not notice it until it's too late.

Several years ago, I have the fuel filter replaced on my '92 only to find it leaking in the garage the next day. Lucky for me, the exhaust didn't sit it on fire when I drove it back to the dealer.

To be on the safe side!

I think I am going to have a look at my fuel lines and buy one of those travel fire extinguishers to keep in my car! I can't imagine if a fuel line cut loose while I was on the road... :eek:hnoes

Ouch that sucks..

glad you are okay

OK Now that the subject has come up I have a question. When I step in my garage I get the smell of gas. I thought that it was my 99 Olds since we have just returned from a quick trip to upper New Hampshire. Seeing your post makes me sick for you. We have some very knowledgeable people on this forum. What I am asking is for them to post any gas leak problems they have had and the fix for it. We might turn your tragic experience into a tech article on gas leaks and there cure.

Update on my gas smell it turns out the fuel rail was leaking on my Olds. I had looked all over the car and could not find the source of the smell. Finally left the car at my mechanic and he found the problem. He said I was lucky not to have caught fire with the amount of gas that was leaking.:eek:hnoes

Update on my gas smell it turns out the fuel rail was leaking on my Olds. I had looked all over the car and could not find the source of the smell. Finally left the car at my mechanic and he found the problem. He said I was lucky not to have caught fire with the amount of gas that was leaking.:eek:hnoes

WOW!! Glad you caught yours in time; I just wish I had more of it in order to detect mine.

Jake

The HARTFORD has offered me a VERY NICE settlement, so, with the exception of losing the engine I just built last year, I'll come out okay.

I may buy the engine back once I take a careful look to see if it's still salvagable. I didn't look all that closely when the car was still here - still in shock I guess - but from what I remember at least one of the valve covers weren't even melted. So the shortblock, heads and intake may still be good.

I've got a few replacements lined up to take a look at, so I should be back on the road in a week or two.

I appreciate all the comments of sympathy. Guess I'll have to stop all my crying soon, LOL.

Jake

Sorry to hear Jake, that sucks big time. :eek

-Stefan

No Disclaimer?

Man, you shouldn't publish pics like that without first entering a post with the standard ten o'clock news disclaimer. "These pics are graphic in nature and may not be sutiable for young children or other Vette lovers.":D

That's bad mojo man but is sounds like it is working out well enough. I had a car burn up on me once. While it was burning it kept trying to start and was slowly creeping back out into the road. The gas tank never did expolde like on TV though.

So Sorry Man...
Glad no one was hurt, and hope you're back in a Vette soon!
Take care..:beer

That is scarey. Glad you weren't in the car or the car wasn't in your garage.

Good luck on your search for a replacement.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom