Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ride characteristics question

Jeb

Corvette
1987 Convertable
I'm not familiar with how a Vette with worn shocks will feel. (Z52 Package with FG3 gas loaded shocks)

On other cars I have owned, when the shocks are worn, you can push down on a corner of the vehicle and the car will not immediately bounce back up and come to rest, it will bounce a few times before settling down. Should a Vette with worn shocks act the same way?

The reason I ask, is that although my shocks are not leaking, etc., I don't know if they are original but if they are, they've got a little over 96,000 on them. The car seems to have a very harsh ride with hitting even a small pothole or bump. Also, when going over, let's say 85MPH, the car seems to want to lift, it doesn't seem to be planted on the road.

I'm wondering if installing new shocks will smooth out the ride somewhat and also stabilize the car at higher speeds.

Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want to replace something that doesn't need to be replaced.

Holy cow, I don't think any shocks will last 96,000 miles, it's time to replace them if they are the original Bilstein shocks. If anything, the car should be smoother if the shocks are worn out, since you're basically riding on the springs. A c4 will never float down the road like a cadillac, so the rough ride is normal. I know you can have the bilsteins revalved, or you can store them away and buy aftermarket shocks. I like my KYBs, best money I ever spent.

Even the original Bilsteins won't last for that long!! It sounds like you are ready for a new set of shocks.

While the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are good for the base suspension, I would recommend getting a replacement set of Bilstein shocks. They will run around $70 each, but they will be matched to the springs and swaybars of the Z52 package. Try Van Steel in Clearwater, FL (assuming they haven't been washed or blown away by Dennis) http://www.vansteel.com/ for a decent deal.

tyrel said:
A c4 will never float down the road like a cadillac

No, not like a cadillac, but at speeds over 120 or so they will float a bit, and it's a little unnerving until you get the feel of it, and if you get too much air under them, they will fly, I've seen the results and it ain't pretty.

tyrel said:
I know you can have the bilsteins revalved. ....... best money I ever spent.
I did this, through Bilstein,to GS specs and the ride is the best ever; better than the C-6 Z-51, imho. The car rides nicely, yet handles like the Z-51 it is. "....... best money I ever spent." (on shocks).

Shocks needing replacement on a Vette, vs yer Dad's Olds, will appear as handling issues, not easily bounced-to-test. The gradual degradation makes it insidious, until 'one day'. My Vete ot loose, but I didn't like the 'jouncy' rebound of the stock Bilsteins. I didn't mind the rough ride so much, but that rebound!

Moonunit 451 said:
at speeds over 120 or so they will float a bit, and it's a little unnerving until you get the feel of it, and if you get too much air under them, they will fly, I've seen the results and it ain't pretty.
Ouch! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom