Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ring and Pinion prices

Trance_LT4

Corvette
Red 96 LT4 coupe
I've been thinking of swapping my 3.45 gears for 4.10 or higher, and in my research, a couple questions have come up that I don't have answers to.

#1 Why do gear companies (such as richmond gear) sell dana 44 ring and pinion sets for $150 give or take, and when I shop for the same thing at tuners like Doug Rippie and TPiS they are gonna cost me $400 give or take.

Are these different types of gears, or are the vette guys charging high prices simply because its a vette owner buying them?

#2 I've seen it as pretty much an industry standard that going from below 3.73 to a higher numerical gear requires a carrier change. Is that the case with my 96 LT4's Dana 44 rear end?

Because, if I can get 4.10s or higher in my rear end, and only have to pay $150bucks plus some labor....sign me up. If its gonna cost me $500 plus labor......the nitrous is gonna go on first.

and speaking of carriers........Who sells these things?

Every place I've seen that sells ring and pinion sets that "may require a different carrier" DOESN'T SELL THE CARRIER????
Makes no sense to me.

Dana 44 is a great carrier, and will work fine with 4.10's (or 4.09's depending on who you go to) I have friends with richmond gear rear ends, and they have had no trouble, you may even be buying richmond gear ring and pinion sets from the expensive Vette companies.... They charge whatever they feel like IMHO. Your main concern with gears is proper installation... If they are installed wrong, or half fast, you can crack a tooth.... i would take the car to a reputable shop to do the work... find the shop before you buy the gears (some shops will want you to buy the gears through them, and even if it costs 50 bucks more, it will be worth it with a warrantee of some sort) It is costly to put gears in... there are many things in the way, and time must be taken... expect 500 for labor. Also, make sure gears fit into your final plan for your car... if you get nitros or a supercharger, gears may be too much, and you may never get a good launch

3.73 gears

Do you guys have a feel for how much 3.73 gears would give me
in the 1/4 mi? .1-.2 s or more like .4-5.s?

Is it true that with 3.73 gears I would not have to change the
speedometer? What are the parts I would have to order? (carrier?)

Thanks

As to the 1/4 mile time difference, going from 3.45s to 3.73s...I don't think it will affect you a GREAT deal, maybe .2 or .3.

As to the speedometer difference, you don't have to change the speedometer gears IF you dont mind indicating 70mph when you're really only going 65......my answer, yes, change them.

The parts needed should be available or recommended from any corvette tuner who deals in gears, such as Doug Rippie Motorsports, and TPiS.

I have a hypertech, so I can correct the speedometer with the click of a button.

trance,

i talked to a friend that owns a shop awhile back when i got my camaro gears put in and they said it's about a grand just to crack the rear open cause you gotta drop the whole rear out. these guys do strictly dragracing applications mine for the camaro 10 years ago was 1100 bucks for everything from the axles in with richmond gear sets price is probably the same i can check into it for you or just look up Eirene's shop on b&a blvd glen burnie they do great work and is very reputable. hardest thing about doing rears is making sure everything is gapped right. i'm sure they are still around i see them at the track sometimes when i go. the whole family is nothing but gear heads! and if they can't do it i know another shop called superior automotive on bellgrove road they do racing applications also. last i was in there they had a 95 vette getting a cage put in with a 383 stroker motor!

Re: 3.73 gears

sothpaw said:
Do you guys have a feel for how much 3.73 gears would give me
in the 1/4 mi? .1-.2 s or more like .4-5.s?

Is it true that with 3.73 gears I would not have to change the
speedometer? What are the parts I would have to order? (carrier?)

Thanks
You need to change the speedo after any gear mods................and if yer thinkin' 4:10........ think again................a 4:56 fits in the carrier and you'll turn 3000 @100mph in 6th..............it will move your 0-60 time way up the food chain........
iroc-dragster.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom