Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rivet install ideas

Fred's Vettes

Corvette
1969 Blue/Black 1969 Green/Green Project
Rivet install ideas needed

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on installing the aluminum rivets to underbody seat belt reinforcements and front seat reinforcement. Anyone that has done this may be able to save me some time as I probably will be working alone on the installs. The vette is a 69 restore. Thanks in advance, Fred

You'll need an air hammer, a mini-regulator (you only need 10-20 psi at the tool), and a 3/16" rivet set with a .401" shank to fit the air hammer; Aircraft Tool (www.aircraft-tool.com) has a great selection of 3/16" rivet sets. You can use almost anything solid as a backup (bucking bar) against the flat head of the rivet while you "set" the other end with the gun. Be sure you get the correct dead-soft body rivets from Paragon or Dr. Rebuild.

I wrote a photo-illustrated article on how to do this in the February '04 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine you might find helpful - back issues can be ordered at 800-448-3611.
:beer

WAOIQRSOVQSJNVSWPUFP-RivetSetup.JPG

I dabble in armour crafting. I use a good ole ball peen hammer to peen the rivets. You would just need something heavy on the topside of the rivet though.

Thanks for the info !

Thanks for the aircraft site to purchase the set tool. Will purchase one today. I 'm still looking for a way for one person to do the job. My arm isn't long enough to reach the head and the bottom at the same time. Might be time to get my wife involved again. CAC members are the best. Fred

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom