Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Road Trip Prep?

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
I plan to drive from South Florida to Texas and back. My C4 has 83K, any suggestions for prep'ing the car for the trip?

Andrew:
  • Good tires (inflated properly)
  • Good functioning coolant system
  • All lights (including turn signals) working
  • Brakes functioning correctly.
  • Don't leave home without the radar detector
Have a safe trip,
Remo:cool

And dont leave home without....

Flashlight, flares or markers, tie wraps, hose clamp, Cell Phone & a valid Credit Card :L . I actually have a leatherman tool that is usually close at hand even when space is tight. Other than that, actually sounds like the above was good info...Unless I have just recently done it...I always try to do a fluids change in any vehicle before a long trip...fresh oil & filter, etc. & check brake pads. I figure if you can run down the road and stop when you have to you're good to go. If you have to stop when you don't want to the rest of the stuff might be helpful and if all else fails call for help and pay with the cc. Have a safe trip. If you are coming this weekend you might want to reschedule or you could be dealing with RITA...and not the kind we prefer here in Tejas, generally with salt, chips and salsa!
Papa:w

Car cleaning kit - brushs, towels, chamios.
Tire plug kit - never know when you'll get a screw or nail in a tire.
Leatherman tool - Minimum tool kit

Oh, I do the above also - check fluids, tires, etc.

Interesting comments, tbanks. I always travel with plenty of tools, going to change the oil and filter before the trip, the "coolant rubber" is new, as is the belt. Forgot the tire plug kit, will add it. The trip won't be for until next month, so Rita will long be gone.

Along with the tire plug kit remember pliers or a wire cutter to pull the offending nail, screw or whatever from the tire. Marty

c4marty said:
Along with the tire plug kit remember pliers or a wire cutter to pull the offending nail, screw or whatever from the tire. Marty

You beat me to this. I was about to add this to my previous post. The Leatherman tool may be sufficient but I include a small pair of pliers and a wire cutter with my tire plug kit. I have a travel bag that goes in the car that has the minimum cleaning stuff and the tire plug kit. I don't carry an air pump (yet) but all my cars have run flats so I figure I can get to an air hose some where and plug my own tires if need be. Been there, done that once so far.

All of the above, plus your pontoons (for storm surge), and battering ram (for large debris and other motorists. :L

JK... be careful out there....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom