Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Roaring in rear end of my C5

steve5472

Corvette
2002 C5 coupe, red
Last summer, I had four new tires installed on my C5. Because there was a national shortage of Goodyear tires, I opted for a new set of Michelins, never being a big fan of Michelin. I also had all four tie rods ends replaced as well. Approx. one mile after leaving the shop, I developed a loud roar in the rear end. Thinking it was a new tire roar, and it would soon "wear in" as I logged some miles, I didn't worry much about it. One year later, and the roar is still evident. The roar will quiet down abit as I turn the car to the left or right, i.e. entering a curve, and will dissapear completely if I put the car in a moderate speed curve. No performance problems have been noted, but the noise is driving me batty!!!!! Any suggestions?

Check the wheel bearings first. Crazy as it sounds, check clearances with the tire and the inner wheel well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You realize that you posted in the C4 forum on a C5. Best to get it moved to the C5 section, more chance of getting an answer there to your problem.

You realize that you posted in the C4 forum on a C5. Best to get it moved to the C5 section, more chance of getting an answer there to your problem.
Good point. Everyone, put on your seatbelts...

Welcome to the C5 forum.

Mac

Diagnosing noises via the Internet is always a hit-or-miss process but, I'd be looking at two potential problems.

1) Suspension alignment and, if that proves to be a problem you may have destroyed a set of rear tires driving that long with the alignment off enough to make noise.

2) Rear wheel bearing/hub assemblies.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, is the noise speed related at all? What do you hear at low speed vs high speed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom