Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Noise Solved - Awesome Customer Service From Builder

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
For those of you who have followed my previous post regarding tuning my new crate motor http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89393 thank you for all of your advice.

Today I experienced the best customer service ever from a vendor. The owner of the factory that produces the crate motor I bought traveled over 100 miles to my home on a Sunday to help me diagnose the valve train noise I was experiencing. As you can tell from the link above this has been a problem for me since I started the motor.

I've had a mechanic to the house, used all the advice I could find on this board, and still could not make the rocker noise go away.

Well, the answer is I am brain damaged. Within 30 seconds he was able to diagnose and prove to me what my problem was. My rockers were RUBBING ON THE VALVE COVERS. We pulled the covers and the rub marks were clearly there. Why I didn't see this the several times I pulled the covers or why my mechanic didn't see this I have no answer.
The crate motor came with crummy stamped valve covers so I replaced them with Aluminum Chevrolet covers with black crinkle coat. It seems that these covers are slightly narrower than the stamped covers that came with the motor. With the 1.6:1 rockers I needed just a little more clearance.
I have never experienced such great customer service. I'm also quite embarrassed that I couldn't figure this out on my own. The good news is that the car can now go out for paint.
Thanks all for the help.
Whiplash

Where did you order the valve covers from? I am looking for a set. Congrats on getting the motor problem solved!

The valve covers were from Jegs. I don't have the part number handy right now but I think they were $125. If you have less than 1.6:1 rocker ratio they should fit. They're center bolt covers. The rub on the inside isn't that bad. I've only run the motor in the driveway and up and down the street maybe 7 miles. I'd be happy to discuss a deal on them. Drop me a PM
1971%20Corvette%20Restoration-51-1.jpg

Wow!

Congratulations on getting to the bottom of the problem. It can be really frustrating!

Apparently, the engine builder ALSO did not catch the problem. Great support for them to come to your house and check it out for themselves.

GerryLP:cool

So what are you going to do to fix the problem?Can it be as simple as a thicker gasket,or are you buying new valve covers.

Wow!

Congratulations on getting to the bottom of the problem. It can be really frustrating!

Apparently, the engine builder ALSO did not catch the problem. Great support for them to come to your house and check it out for themselves.

GerryLP:cool

Actually, the problem was my fault. The engine builder sent the motor out with stamped covers that did not rub but were not attractive so I put the GM Crinkle finish covers on. They are tall but not wide enough. The solution is to put the stamped steel covers that came with the motor back on. In addition, the builder is sending me some chrome covers that are the right size. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this builder. He's not a sponsor today but he's interested and I expect to see him on this board soon.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom