Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

rocker panels

75 flame orange

Corvette
1975 coupe flm orng L82 M-21 4-speed
My rocker panel screws are rusted on my 75.the only way i could see to get them off is to drill them out.but i don't want to damage the holes in the panel,has anyone done this without runing the hole.

Carmen

Use a drill bit just slightly bigger than the screw itself, not the head.
Drill down enuff so that you can pop the head off, your hole should be fine.
Use some vise grips to remove whats left of the screw after you have put some WD-40 or PB Blaster on the screws.
Better yet, try the PB Blaster before the drilling method. That stuff is pretty good about freeing up rusty parts.
Clean everything up with a wire brush and order some new screws.

Have fun, we're here if ya need us.

Cee
i tried to soak the screws with WD-40 overnight,but they wouldn't break loose.The only thing was that the screw itself turned with the nut,and i was stripping the slots on the head of the screw.But i will try the drill bit you advised,that sounds like it will work.
thanks again
Carmen

Start with a small drill bit if you are unsure of the size and then move up....once you have the right size the head should just pop off leaving the shaft of the screw. At least then you'll be able to take the rocker panels off.
Mine were a pain in the butt as well, let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem with a couple of screws, I drilled the head off and then grabbed the shaft of the screw with a pair of vise grips to turn out. Replaced the screws and sprayed the threads with wd40.

Start with a small drill bit if you are unsure of the size and then move up....once you have the right size the head should just pop off leaving the shaft of the screw. At least then you'll be able to take the rocker panels off.
Mine were a pain in the butt as well, let us know how it goes.

Cee
You keep comming up with good ideas for me to try.More options are always much better.thanks again
carmen

I had the same problem with a couple of screws, I drilled the head off and then grabbed the shaft of the screw with a pair of vise grips to turn out. Replaced the screws and sprayed the threads with wd40.

Ronnie
More options---that's great

thanks
carmen

That's the only way to get them out. It can be really frustrating and will make you curse like a champ. Take your time and they will come out.

you guys were right---i used a smaller drill bit,smaller then the head of the screw.drilled in the center of the screw head and it popped right off.one is done,have to get the other.
thank alot guys
carmen

You can always re-tap the holes with a tap and die kit. I ended up having to do that with a few of mine.

Carmen, I lived on Columbus Ave, ( Railroad St. back then) still own it. I've had 4 C3's, did all my own work, if you think I could help you out in the future, give me a yell.

you guys were right---i used a smaller drill bit,smaller then the head of the screw.drilled in the center of the screw head and it popped right off.one is done,have to get the other.
thank alot guys
carmen

I believe Corvette Central carries a bronze (or brass) replacement for damaged rocker panel screw holes.... I'll look it up, if I can find it, and post the info.
:beer

Carmen, I lived on Columbus Ave, ( Railroad St. back then) still own it. I've had 4 C3's, did all my own work, if you think I could help you out in the future, give me a yell.

thanks maybe i'll take you up on that.

already ordered

I believe Corvette Central carries a bronze (or brass) replacement for damaged rocker panel screw holes.... I'll look it up, if I can find it, and post the info.
:beer

I ordered a set from Wilcox,should be here by friday---but thanks anyway.

carmen

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom