Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rocker Studs

cfalson

Corvette
1966 Trophy Blue Coupe
Does anyone know if the rocker studs in a standard 461 heads are screwed in or pressed, I broke #4 exhaust and need to replace it. Can not see any reason except for fatigue for the failure.
Charlief
66 Coupe

Originally pressed in, but it left the dealers lot quite a few years ago so anything is possible. :upthumbs

One snapped after 40 years, has anyone ever replaced one out with head on the car
Thanks,
Charlief

Did it break off flush with the casting?

You could drill into the center of the stud and tap it for a bolt. Then use the bolt threaded into the stud to pull the stud out. Plug the oil drain backs with paper towels and also try to cover as much area around the neighboring valve springs ect to keep all of the shavings where you can get to them. Vacuum out the area afterward and also use a heavy magnet to go after stragling bits of metal. If your heads don't have sludge in them for the shaving to imbed in you should be able to clean out all of the debris with the heads on the engine.

Tom

Some studs, if they intersect with the water jacket area, can be driven on in where they will do no harm. Unfortunately, I forget exactly which ones. :ugh
You could examine a bare head to see if you have any laying around.

I have enough stud to thread the portion left in the head with a die and jack it out with a nut and washers. For the replacement stud, any suggestions on presssing it in, other than double nutting and driving in with a drift and hammer.
Thanks,
Charlief

I have enough stud to thread the portion left in the head with a die and jack it out with a net and washers. For the replacement stud, any suggestions on presssing it in, other than double nutting and driving in with a drift and hammer.
Excellent plan. :) Thread some---jack-------thread more------jack-----untill out.
Coat shank of stud with Permatex #2 if the stud intersects water jacket. Be careful to start it straight.

Charlie, as I indicated in response to your inquiry over on the CRPL list, I wouldn't fiddle with another press-in stud; I'd tap the hole 7/16"-14 and install a straight-shank non-hex threaded stud; that fix is "forever". :)

Funny story about me. :)

Had the heads on my 63 done about 10 years ago. The guy who did them was a friend of mine. He insisted on replacing the original press in studs. I told him I didn't like the idea, but he ASSURED me it would be OK. He'd NEVER had a stud pull out.

Watched him do it...pulled the old ones...pounded in the new ones which he had stored in a freezer.

Fast forward to the Corvette drag races. I'm in 3rd gear, and the car stops pulling at about 5000 RPM. Went through the trap. TICK, TICK, TICK, etc.

A stud had pulled out. Drove the car home, and replaced it with a SCREW IN standard stud. A few weeks later, I got "on" the car, and pulled ANOTHER stud.

Hmmm. This is a trend, I thought. I replaced ALL 16 studs, on the car, using the tap and die kit and screw in studs with LocTite. I was careful. I used childrens modelling clay to catch shavings. Used a small magnet, etc.

LONG story short, the car's been fine since. SHOULD have followed my instincts and NEVER messed with the original studs.

My point? They're EASY to replace on the car.

Listen to Mr. Hinckley. :) Use the straight screw in studs without the hex. IF you use the hex, the heads have to come off, and you have to machine the stud boss flat to accomodate the hex stud. Chuck

Here's a pic of the jig used to replace studs. Borrowed this from a friend when I did mine. You can buy the studs at any professional auto parts store. Chuck

Thanks, everyone, I will jack the stud out and tap a new one in to the existing hole. Does anyone remember if #4 exhaust goes into the water jacket, hate to find out as it is just pulling free of the head.
Many thanks,
Charlief

I don't remember which ones are "wet" (it's been a while); I'd drain a couple of gallons of coolant before you start - it would be an ugly surprise. :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom