Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ROD Six speed now installed...and test drive complete

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
WOW!!!!!!!!!

Just took killer for about 50 miles with the Richmond six. YES!!!!!!

I have a gear for any speed I want to run....smooth and tight. What a different car!!!!!!!!

This is by far the BEST mod I have ever done to this car.

I took the liberty of ramming it through the gears a bit on a back stretch of road....All I can say is ...WOW!!!!!!

The car feels like it could do 200 mph!

The Big Block just strolls over 60 mph in sixth.

If anybody is on the fence and considering this swap....consider no more. Take it from me...it is Schweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!

That is great news!

Makes those tough times easy to forget!

Do you think you will keep the manual clutch linkage instead of going back to the hydraulic?

Congratulations. I kow you have been working like a....well working hard on it.
I'm galad you are pleased with it.

a modern trans in a classic Vette can't be beat, glad to hear its finally up and around:cool

Congrats! Glad you like it. Makes the whole clutch problem seem worth it I'll bet.

Getting to ride with Killlers new six speed

Chris,
All I have to say is WOW what a great vette you have.
Thanks for letting me come over to help out a little and of course thanks again for taking me for a spin in Killer. Can't wait to cruise to Orlando next weekend.
Talk to you later,

Jim "Vette96CE"

:CAC :v

It is like having a whole new car.

Believe it or not, I still have to pull the trans back out. The reason is, I did not lengthen the pivot ball stud enough to give me the exact right amount of pedal. It can only be done with the trans out!

It will work for now, it just does has low pedal movement.

Jim,...thanks for coming over and giving a hand.

Nice to meet you and your lady friend.

We looked for you before we left the cruise in...but cound not see you.

Looking forward to Octobervette!!!!!!

parts price

could you give us a price list of parts numbers, sure would love to do this....

thanks

Chris, what is the first gear ratio on that tranny? Does it have 2 OD Gears, or just one with closer under drive gears?

chris, i can just see the grin on your face. really glad for you. i will look for you and jim next saturday. i'll be driving the lemans blue 74, with the 82 rear bumper and lexan light covers.

look forward to meeting mant CAC members

robin

Stallion said:
Chris, what is the first gear ratio on that tranny? Does it have 2 OD Gears, or just one with closer under drive gears?

First is 2.77 and sixth is .62. Only sixth is an overdrive, unlike a ZF six speed or T56.

madvette---I will put together the complete 411 on my website in a week or two.

See you guys at Octobervette!

Thanks for the info, Chris.

What kind of work was it to get that tranny in her? Was it a big deal? Any mods you have to do? Or was it all pretty straight-forward?

TR

Stallion said:
Thanks for the info, Chris.

What kind of work was it to get that tranny in her? Was it a big deal? Any mods you have to do? Or was it all pretty straight-forward?

TR

Three mods

1. I had to make my cross member removeable (you would not have to do this on cars that came with autos).

2. I had to trim a littel bit of material out of the shifter hole in the floor (just a tad)

3. I had to weld a tab on the cross member for the trans mount.

Other than that, it was all a straight bolt up.

69MyWay said:
Three mods

1. I had to make my cross member removeable (you would not have to do this on cars that came with autos).

2. I had to trim a littel bit of material out of the shifter hole in the floor (just a tad)

3. I had to weld a tab on the cross member for the trans mount.

Other than that, it was all a straight bolt up.

That's not bad at all for something like that. Sounds like a good thing. :D

TR

Piet said:
Chris... Recomendation?

Hydraulic Clutch or Mechanical?

It does not matter really.

I got a hot head about blowing the seal on my hydraulic unit, yanked it out, and offered it for sale. Well, it is sold and soon to be shipped out to Texas...so, I won't be putting it back in.

I can say that the hydraulic is much smoother, with less pedal effort.

If you were doing the swap on a auto to standard trans, the hydraulic would save the time and hassle of welding the z bar tab to the frame, and looking for all the mechanical parts.

Rematch.......no time soon. She knows better now!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom