Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ROD Six speed now installed...and test drive complete

Hey Chris, now that you have the 6 speed in what kind of mileage do you get with it? What is the rpm at 75 mph?

Just curious,
MIke

Crossmember

Chris,

When you modified the crossmember, did you take any pictures of it? If so, could you post them....I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Thanks,
Bill

which is better, 2 overdrives or one?

I'm saving up for an ls1 engine and a 6 speed manual. I was planning on going with the t56, I was just going to find an engine with the tranny already attached. But which is better, 2 od's or one?

I took pictures of the X member, but have not uploaded them yet to my site.

The cruise RPM at 80 is right around 2,000 RPM.

I was pushing 16 mpg running the car hard (at 80-85 mph) on the last two trips. I have not tweaked the computer yet.

Two vs. One overdrive? Well, it is up to you. If you get an LS1 out of a donor car, that is what you will have, so no choice in the matter.

Does one vs. two make a difference? I am sure it does, to some minimal degree. With my cam combo, etc, I am not using sixth gear until I clear 45 mph anyway. If I had two overdrives, I would probably be skipping fifth, or just not getting into sixth until I was over 70 or something (note, large lift/duration cam).

So, Chris, are you saying you finally have some top speed to put with all those ponies? I recall you had to keep it under 125mph due to your engine screaming. Man o' man...dude...if you can really take that thing up to speed now...<speechless>...WOW!!!

axle ratio?

Will I be able to use my same rear differential with the same gear ratios with the new LS1/t56?

Re: axle ratio?

tomj1404 said:
Will I be able to use my same rear differential with the same gear ratios with the new LS1/t56?

I personally don't see why not. Probably need a different driveshaft.

I just got back from a little road trip with the 69. It is the first time we have just taken the car to do a "vacation" sort of thing,...although A69Vette did talk us into going to a really cool cruise in at a place called Dade City, Florida.

Anyway...Ipushed right at 20 mpg on the way down, and I was not feathering it either. I am sure I can hit a solid 20+ on a steady easy cruise.

The weather this weekend was spectactular, so the top was down virtually the whole trip to Tampa and back.

The beauty of this conversion is at 70-80+ mph, the only thing you really hear is the whooosh of air around the car. The roar of the engine takes second stage, as the RPM is low and smooth.

The whole car just feels like it is laid back on cruise control. The big block hardly has to even burp to push the car down the highway.

The Richmond is a bit noisy (as in some clunk if you lug it in high gear going slow, and whine/gear cut whine in lower gears), but it is all part of the package.

My engine temps stayed cooler and more steady....everything is just better.

I highly suggest this mod to anybody. It is a MUST if you want a stick shift, and if you plan on doing any real highway driving.

Mileage-Schmileage... forget all that! :z
I (we?) want to know about top speed now! What are your 70-100 acceleration times now? :bu :Steer
Give us some cool numbers.
If we were all concerned about mileage, we'd buy a Prius! :eyerole

:L

engine temps

That mileage is great Chris, if you want cooler engine temps you need to be here today as its 20 degrees below zero...brrrrr

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom