Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rogh Idle/Water in Gas

eoseitz

Corvette
1974 Stingray L82
It's been raining pretty heavily in the central ohio area for about a week. Once the sun finally came out, I decided I'd drive the vette to work. It turned over a little rough when I first started it, but it drove about 2 miles to the gas station without any issues. When I got to the gas station I noticed water had filled the area above the gas cap. I tried to soak some up with a rag, but I'd guess about a cup went into the tank. I filled the tank with 89 octane and put in some carb cleaner to make sure the water didn't cause issues.

When I went to leave the gas station the car started rough. I drove about a mile out of town and started to turn and the car died. I couldn't get it to turn over. I assumed the battery had gotten weak, because the car had set for a while. I got a jump and headed home. Every time I came to a stop sign I had to put it in neutral and hold the gas down a bit.

I bought a new battery and a fuel filter. It seems almost like its not getting gas. It will run if I pull the choke all the way out, but not under normal choke conditions. I've noticed a sucking sound for a while, but assumed it was the new high flow air filter I put on.

Does this sound like bad gas, a vacuum leak, or maybe a fuel pump? I also noticed I was dangerously low on oil and refilled it.

Thanks for any help.

First thing you need to do is fix the drain tube for the gas filler area. No water should collect there regardless of how much it rains.

You might have gotten far more than a cup of water in the gas- carb cleaner won't help anything.

It runs 'if you pull the choke out' (?) There's a manual choke?

I will have to check the drain. I didn't realize there was one. Yes. My quadrajet was replaced with an edelbrock 650 performer carb and intake. It is unfortunately a manual carb. I wish it was electric. Lol

Ok. I've cleaned out the drain hose. Hopefully that won't happen again. I noticed some smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. After looking closer it appears I have a transmission line leaking pretty badly. Would this cause the car to stall/idle poorly? I wasn't sure if it would be similar to a vacuum leak.

Well I got some seafoam and put in the tank. Hopefully that pulls some of the water out. I also found a pretty bad transmission leak in the line coming straight out of the radiator. Transmission fluid is literally spraying out. Would this cause the engine to run poorly? I know a vacuum leak would. I'm not familiar with how the transmission fluid circulates in our engines. Is there vacuum to it or a pump of some kind?

There's nothing in Seafoam that will do anything about water in gas.

That's great. :upthumbs Someone on here recommended it. The bottle said it would remove moisture. Do you know of anything that will and is it safe to mix it in with the seafoam in there?

Well the seafoam worked. Car is running great again. Now I just need to fix the transmission line. :thumb

Transmission line repair

Well the seafoam worked. Car is running great again. Now I just need to fix the transmission line. :thumb

Glad too see Seafoam worked . But transmission fluid is as votile as gasoline. Becareful tranny fluid and manifold do not mix. The lines are fairly cheap and nothing more than an open end wrench to remove and install new lines . Do both lines worth the money. More importantly good time to change tranny fluid, filter and flush radiator coolant. Coolant protects tranny fluid from losing its lubricating properities. Everytime I change coolant, hoses and thermostat I change tranny fluid, filter and gasket.One fluid(coolant)protects the other.

If your interested in getting fluid out of torque converter let me know and I will give you instructions on how to do that with it installed in the vehicle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom