Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Roller Rockers...

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
From a letter to Crane....

A friend recently purchased some CRANE rocker arms from PAW (or so he states) They look like the ones @ the top of your web page.

http://www.cranecams.com/master/goldrace.htm

So he just bolted em up didn?t adjust em properly and mangled a few. He did this twice.

I now have these rocker arms. I need help identifying what they are so I may purchase replacement rockers where needed.

The top of the arm has different numbers on it. Can you decode what it means? They all say Crane, they are all gold anodized aluminum. They all have C clips to service the needle bearings.

Like all things Corvette, this is eating me outta house & home (but I love it!) The least expensive option is the best.

I have the following, The chew indicates where the pushrod came loose and marred the aluminum area surrounding where the pushrod goes into.
6) D-507 (1 is chewed)
6) 8K-36 (3 are chewed)
1) 2190 (chewed)
1) C-559
1) T-238
1) B-661 ( Oil hole slightly different then the rest)
So it looks like I need to replace 6 of them. I would first like to know what are they!!??? Cost / ratio(s). / Part number for replacement / where to purchase it (So Calif., Burbank or Valencia) / Please let me know at your earliest opportunity.

So chime in guys.... HALLLPPPP!

Mike

How do you mess up the rockers like that unless you are not using hardened push rods?

I have the Gold Style ones on the big block. They are very wide bodies and very heavy duty.

This is going to be a little tricky to identify.

Too bad the previous owner does not still have the paper work.

I always thought they sold them at a better price for a whole set at one time. You may come withing a stones throw of the regular set of 16 just buying 6.

yeah without seeing a picture of them its tough like 69 my way said ive bought separates at a time and it nearly cost me what a set wouldve been...you need to figure if there all 1.5,s or all 1.6,s or if he had 1.6 on intakes and 1.5 on exuast ..lay them down next to each other and see if all the of pushrod holes line up if some are set back and some are alittle forward then you know there mixed...

At this point you should just by new rockers. Who knows what else is waiting to break. Start with a fresh set.

Pix

If you click on the link..you get the pix.

The others look NEW ( no visual wear )

I'll bet he didn't put a guide plate in! and he won't discuss it.

I wrote the letter to find out the price.

And I will NOT spend $279.00 for a new set of these!

If there to pricey we will make wind chimes outa em.

They all look like 1.5's self aligning centered.

Mike

The line up

The Good the Bad & the UGLY

Mike

rockers, roller

in my limited experience, pushrod geometry is very important, if the geometry is not correct you may need to get longer pushrods (or shorter), available at any speed shop in 100/1000 length increments. and of coarse if the lifters were to loosely set prior to start up the pushrods may wonder and cause the damage you show in your picture.

Rolllers are definately the way to go for high rpm set ups, use them on my small block 350's in my boat.

Good Luck

Bill

I would not run aluminum rollers on the street. I dont know what your shooting for but their life span is pretty short for a street car. Plus steel roller's are noticably cheaper. Check Summit racing's house brand, I know several people that have had good luck with them.

I put a set of Summit's steel rollers when I did the rebuild. They are working great. Got them set the first time out and have not had to adjust at all. Plus, they fit under the stock valve covers!

Ok I'm confused ( again)

Why wouldn't these Aluminum rockers be as reliable or in some area's ( reduced valve train friction ) better. Are you saying that these rockers wont go 75,000+ miles?

Mike

rollers

the rollers will last a long time, the alum. ones are lighter and will last as long as steel easy.

i would contact crane for the info you want,why guess.

The first post

Is an excerpt from the Tech Fax I sent em Sat night. I NEVER GUESS.

Mike

Acording to what I've read and been told, aluminum rockers will not last as long as steel, on the order of 30K life. I'll look for a reference on that, and it may vary with different manufacturers, but I'd be willing to bet..

Thinking about it I saw that 30K figure in a Summit catalog or online not long ago, call them and ask, there usually pretty friendly. They have a set of steel rollers for $160 too :)

I bought a set of stamped roller rockers for $100 from summit. Working just fine. Oh and some poly locks with them to. No probs up to now.

It might be worth just buying a new set and not have to worry about the ones you got. Its probably going to be more of a hassle than its wortj.

Just my two Vigman.

sscam69

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom