Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rookie Appearance Questions

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
Hi Everyone, Just pickep up my 98 Sebring Silver 6 speed. My first! Its been a long time comin'. I would first like to provide a standing ovation to everyone; I read the saga of TheBlueVette. I've been to Advance Auto, AutoZone and Pep Boys looking for paint and leather appearance products, and I've read the owner's manual. How about some of you show car folks sharing a little know how. This will be a driver, because that's what Vettes are for, right?, but I want it to look great, and the Sebring Silver, well, I don't believe there is a lot of pigment in silver / gray paints. Again I applaud you all for the outstanding support and community you gave the Dave during his saga. ps: I'll be doing my own oil changes :w

Silver98,
Congratulations on your acquisition! And yes, you are absolutely right about Vettes being made to be driven- kudos for that insight!

I am quite sure where waxing strategies are concerned, if you do a search you will find any number of threads debating various products. It seems to come down to personal preference, so may have to simply experiment with some and see which results you like the best.

On the subject of the care of the leather, I personally swear by Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Best of all, it's readily available at any ACE hardware store.

Post some pics of your ride when you get a chance, and don't forget to wave!

:w
-Patrick

Thanks for the help folks. You have no idea how happy I am to be here. Well, maybe you do.:beer

Welcome and grads on the new addition to your family.

Don't worry, the smile you have will not cause any permanent damage and can not be wiped off.

:beer :w

Hey Silver,

Welcome to the CAC and congratulations.
There is lots of good info in the care and detailing section. So much that you might drive yourself crazy if you obsess over it too much :D

Yes, we do know that happy feeling.

Tammy :w

OK, so how do I paste a photo of my new family pride and joy?

To post a photo, you have 2 choices.
1) You can upload a photo from your hard drive by clicking the manage attachments button when you are creating a reply (or new thread).
The file size has to be fairly small. (65k perhaps? the number escapes me now)

or

2) link to a photo hosted somewhere on the internet. In that case, size does not matter. To do this, click the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif

and paste in the URL where your photo is located.

In the first example, your post will show a thumbnail of your photo, which will link to a larger image when you click it. In the second example, the full image will show in your post without clicking any links.

Hope this helps

Thanks MsSchroder, I now know how to do it, but I can't crop and save any smaller than4ook. I;ll need to work on it. Thanks to all. I've been reading the Detailing Forum. There is a ton 'o stuff there. I think I'm going to go the Zaino route. The liquid look is awesome.

Silver98-
Tammy may be able to help with that, too. Some time ago, she sent me a link to a site where you can download a photo-editing program called IrfanView. It's free, and reasonably versatile. I've used it to shrink down photos small enough to get them in my Avatar. Sadly, I didn't save that link- but I'm sure Tammy did. Or you can try a google search for Irfan View.

Good luck!

:w
-Patrick

MsSchroder said:
2) link to a photo hosted somewhere on the internet. In that case, size does not matter. To do this, click the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif

and paste in the URL where your photo is located.

Hope this helps
;LOL ;LOL AHA! Finally in writing...... ;LOL ;LOL Oh I can hardly breath right now...;LOL

vettepilot

calvins said:
Welcome and congratulations!

As for the cleaning question. As stated earlier it's a lot of personal preferance. I use Zaino products.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
I agree. ZAINO, Zaino, Zaino - do the whole thing - wash, claybar, wash, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6. Then wash, Z2, Z6 thereafter every other month or so. Sometimes just Z6 after a wash when you want a little more shine.

Thanks for the web site info.

:cool I just downloaded this web site; don't know how to use it yet but thought I would give it a try. If you have a crash course that you could send me may make using it a lot easier. Really appreciate the information on the web site; what will it do exactly?

Thanks,
Bill :w

MsSchroder said:
www.irfanview.com

download link: http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

I still love that software and use it constantly.

Holy cow. I just noticed it will do batch conversions. A whole folder to thumbnails at once?? Oh YEAH! :upthumbs

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
:cool I just downloaded this web site; don't know how to use it yet but thought I would give it a try. If you have a crash course that you could send me may make using it a lot easier. Really appreciate the information on the web site; what will it do exactly?

Thanks,
Bill :w
Bill,
It does lots of things, most of which I don't even know about :L, but I like it because it is free and produces the highest quality of resized photos of any free software that I've found. So in a nutshell, what it does is resize your photos.

After you install it (and during installation I uncheck the ebay options), just run it, open your file with it, select Image-Resize/Resample (from the menu), and select a lower number of pixels. All you need to do is supply the width or height and it will do the other. Then File-Save and you are ready to go.
Usually 600 width by 400 height will work just fine for the CAC for uploads.

To install it, you have to download the file (ieview392.exe) from the downloads site, and then double click that to start the installation process.

Send me a PM if you need more instructions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom