Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Roots style supercharger

c3cvte

Corvette
1972 Stingray
I'm looking into the possibility of supercharging my '72 vette. I would like to keep everything under the L88 hood. As of now I have about 3'' of clearence from the top of my air filter to the hood. this measurement doesnt really mean anything because I will be changing the intake and could always use a smaller (shorter) air cleaner. Also I have only about an inch from the bottom of my crank pully to the frame in the fromt of the car. The pully for the supercharger has to go in there somewhere.

Has anyone done this? I cant believe someone hasnt supercharged a chevy 350 in a C3 corvette before.

is the answer a centrifugal supercharger? Then I have to relocate the alternator and I still have clearence problems on the drivers side of the car where the supercharger goes.

I do not have a machine shop where I can fabricate special brackets and pullys. What do I do?

Steve

A "roots" style supercharger won't fit under the hood. Not by a long shot. You're likely going to have to run a centrifugal supercharger, and if you look around you'll probably find kit's that will accomplish what your looking for.

I'd suggest you make sure the engine is in really good shape though. A super charger can put alot of stress on the engine and the rest of the drive train.

Here's an example of a "roots" system
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-6513-1/?rtype=10

And an example of centrifugal system
Vortech 4GP218-038T - Vortech Carbureted Centrifugal Supercharger Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Neither are cheap either....

I have thought about a Procharger install (you have to think of something while driving the big truck down the road). I know a Procharger will physically fit on the drivers side with the alt. relocated. It would be nice if you could special order one to fit on the passenger side. The only thing i would have to move is the coolant tank. You will have to trim some of the fiberglass near the hood drip rail for belt clearance.

I have looked at a procharger (centrifigal) super charger. There is more then trimming some fiberglass as I have been told. I called a shop in Ohio that has done some of these and they said the bracket that mounts the supercharger puts it at a bad angle to the hood. The have fabricated custom brackets to mount it lower into the engine bay just a fraction of an inch from the upper A arm. The alternator bracket that comes with these kits is all wrong too. Again it mounts it too high. Also since the actuall location of the charger is different the tube from the carb hat to the chargwr has to be custom built. And all of this is varible depending how must "rise" you have on your intake. The main reason I didn't want to go with this style is because of the fabrication issues and the losing of the '70's performance look. I think the centrifugal charhers are very mustang '90's. I know it's a solution but not a bery good one. I called weiland today and the said I need 2 basic measurments. I need 7 15/16 from block (in back by distributor) plus carborator and cleaner to hood and 7" from center of passenger side front intake bolt to front of engine bay down at the crank pully. With a L88 hood I think I have the hood clearence. My main issue is the front frame cross member. I havnt had a chance to get out and measure yet. Does this all sound realistic to you?

and sorry for spelling issues. I'm responding from my phone.

steve

I saw on TV a guy who located the turbos on the rear of the car exhaust and piped the boost to the front. Not a cheap job.

Magnacharger in a C6. Dont know if the have one for a C3. Good luck
vette_2300_TVS_2_small.jpg

and a link to their site
Magna Charger manufacturers intercooled supercharging systems for late model GM and Ford cars, trucks and SUVs utilizing OEM quality Eaton hybrid superchargers.

There is a guy here in Jax that has a Procharger in a C3 but i have not seen it yet. I talked to him at a cruise-in last year(he didn't have his car there) and he was telling me about all that is involved with the install. I will try to get some pics next time i see him as it should warm up here soon.

If you use a centrifugal SC, don't you have to have a special carb designed for blow-thru?

If Magna Charger made that Supercharger that fit 1st gen Small Block Chevy heads they would sell millions of them.
If that is true, I'll bet they are tooling up right now! After all they are in business to make money;)

If you use a centrifugal SC, don't you have to have a special carb designed for blow-thru?

according to the websites there is 2 ways they do it. 1 is a carb hat that just seals the air intake area. 2. Is a box that actually encloses the whole carb.
magna charger doesn't want to tough anything that's carburated.

Here's a great looking job, new engine also but like someone already said, if you're going down this road you better be sure the motor will take the extra pounding.

Zman's Website

Nice website Bill, its good to see another Maroon 70 with black interior out there.
Procharger claims that a Holley HP series carb will work as a blowthrough carb.

Hello the 142 and 144 weiand blowers will fit under a l88 hood but not a stock hood.I have one and it will fit with a low profile breather from summit racing hly-64280,i will go with this breather when i get tired of the injector scoop that on my car now.heres a couple pics.
frontvette.jpg

sidevette-1.jpg

IM002557.jpg

IM002556.jpg

IM002542-1.jpg

Its a blast everytime i drive it and never gets boring like a naturally asperated engine.these are the easiest blowers to install out of all of them.I try to explain the feeling of a blown vehicle,once you put one on ,you will be hooked forever,nitrous is the closest thing to a blower,but a blower never runs out.Good luck with what ever you decide to do. :thumb

how does the bottom pully fit? Looks to me like it would be VERY tight. Did you have to dmodify the crossmember in the front or anything for clearence?

how does the bottom pully fit? Looks to me like it would be VERY tight. Did you have to dmodify the crossmember in the front or anything for clearence?

No its not tight,theres alot of room,the blower pulley fits inside your stock crank pulley.No modifications,everything bolts right up,no problems.Very easy to put on.

Hi Bill,
How did you build the engine, what internals did you have to get and did you stud it?
Thanks
Gary

Hi Bill,
How did you build the engine, what internals did you have to get and did you stud it?
Thanks
Gary

Hello Gary,the internals are 383 stroker forged pistons kit,4 bolt main sbc,eagle crank,and rods,hydraulic roller cam,etc.I do not have a forged crank,it would not hurt to get one but you dont need it with this blower,you are not turning 7000 rpms,the blowers max rpms is i believe 6500 rpms.I have run these blowers for about 15+ years,very dependable and strong,never had a problem with them.Its a very good high hp street and track blower.A friend of mine bought a 177 weiand blower and he had problems with the front nose seal for some reason.Its a blast to run these things.There are guys out there that run these on 2 bolt main engines and have no problems at all.these blowers dont put the massive cylinder pressures like the 671 and 871.The max boost is about 10 to12 psi with pulley changes.Also you should buy a blower carb,but you dont have to you just need to change out the jets in a regular carb to bigger ones.Blower carb regulates your fuel for you at boost.

Thanks Bill
My son bought one recently but I have not used one before. I may have him contact you if you don't mind.
Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom