Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RPM's

R

RayL81

I know there was a discussion on rpm's so I thought I would add my findings. I drive a stock 81 and noticed this morning at 65 mph my tach read 2150 rpm at 70 mph it read about 2300 rpm. The engine was even breathing hard yet. I love this car!!!!!!!!

I didn't realize that 81's had 4-speed automatic OD transmissions -- or do they?

They have either 2.72(4 speed) or 2.87(auto) rear end gearing.Great for highway cruising.1981 models use the 350c trans.Overdrives were not used until 1982.

Dave

It's a 3 speed auto. I didn't know what the rear end gear ratio was, thanks Burglar.

Wow! That certainly is a big drop in gearing from my 3.55 rear end. How's acceleration off the line?

By the way, does the 350c have the locking torque converter? (I like to know this stuff so I can at least APPEAR to be knowledgeable :D )

Yes,the 350C trans has a lock up convertor.I don't know how the auto responds in low gear,but my 4 speed isn't to bad.It really cranks when you are doing about 65-70 and put her down in third and hammer it!!

Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom