Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Run Flat Balance

Corvette
2000 c5 silver coupe blk interior
Taking my c-5 2000 to dealer for a alignment & tyre balance. Dealer said RUN FLATS get a RUN FLAT FORCE balance. What is a RUN FLAT FORCE BALANCE ??? THANX :) :v :pat LIFE IS SHORT , ENJOY THE RIDE

Not sure it is only a run flat force balance, but just a road force balance. The tire is balanced running on a roller to simulate it running on a road. That way the balance can correct tire to rim index (minimize runout), sidewall stiffness differences (re-runflats), as well as an out of balance tire. Much better balance for a tire with short sidewalls. If done right you will be a happy camper.

Got to add one more thing and that is a 4 wheel alignment at the same time and not to all of Corvette recommended specs. There is a better alignment to stop the inside edge of the front tires from cupping. I think there were specs posted on here at one time. Change of the camber to as close to zero as possible should negate the inner shoulder wear that is so prevalent. Toe, .05 left and right to help reduce scalloping of the tire edges.

On my last alignment 7yrs ago when I bought a set up new Kumho ASX tires, I had the front tire camber set to zero (0) and haven't had any inside cupping issues since. I'm just a cruiser and do alot of long road trips and no autoX or any other type of racing. I just replaced those tires after 53K miles. I got my money's worth!! :thumb

On my last alignment 7yrs ago when I bought a set up new Kumho ASX tires, I had the front tire camber set to zero (0) and haven't had any inside cupping issues since. I'm just a cruiser and do alot of long road trips and no autoX or any other type of racing. I just replaced those tires after 53K miles. I got my money's worth!! :thumb
I got 58,000 miles out of the first set of ASX's,I've got 35,000 on the second set,No Flats Yet!:thumb

:D

Run flat balance

:happyanim: Thanx !!Had all 4balanced& alignment. MUCH better steering, have a bent R Pass rim . Dealer said could fix . Will pull tyre & return to dealer.. Thanx again. :L :pat

Run-Flat Balance

Well, I've had several balance jobs with the newest Hunter road force balance machines. Some are good others are not. Admittedly, a lot depends on the technician but these machines are designed to be reasonably error proof.

Then I ran into an engineer from Bowling Green who was having his personal Vette fitted with new tires. He told the shop to not do the spin balance but rather to do simply a static balance. His contention was that was the best balance process for a Corvette. He also told them not to use stick-on weights but to use clip-on weights as far out on the circumference of the wheel as possible, like the wheels come from the factory. I've never tried this but the engineer swore that it was the way to go. Just FYI.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom