Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Run flat or just flat tires?

D

DRKNT57

I just purchased my 99 coupe and the person I bought it from had replaced the oroginal run flat tires with a non run flat set. The set has very little use on them.
I know I'm in deep ;help if I get a flat.
I know a few other vett owners that are in my condition and they don't seem concerned......just curious; are there more of us playing russian roulette? ;shrug

Non Run Flats

First of all..............welcome to CAC. Glad you've joined us.

On the issue of non run-flats, I believe a search will net you several threads discussing run-flats versus non run-flats, as for me, I'm staying with the run-flats.

Dennis

Getting a flat and dealing with it is really no big deal. It sure as heck beats massive road noise and driving on tires that feel like rocks.

Been on non-run flats for 2 years. Love the ride, noise and handling change. The only thing I did was add a plug kit and a small portable air compressor in the back if needed.
If I remember correctly the C5 Z06 came with non-run flats and a repair kit in the back.

The debate on the subject will never die:BDH.
The only thing I can say is that it's an individual preference. If you are capable and willing to deal with the worst case scenerial (a flat) than non run flat tires provide much wider range of performance and comfort than run flats. All this for half the price. For those that are unable or unwilling to deal with a flat it's an obvious choice. Personally I've switched to non flat tires long ago and would not go back to EMT's.

There are indeed threads on the subject and nearly enough arguments for and against runflats to rival wax vs polish. :L It boils down to what fits your needs best.

As has been suggested, if you're going to stay with non-runflats, you should invest in a plug kit and compressor or at least membership in AAA.

Myself, I've stayed with the runflats. A couple of years ago, I had a castastrophic loss of pressure - what would have amounted to a blowout - on the interstate at 84 MPH. I heard it and felt it.

The DIC flashed a warning message informing me of the loss, the tire involved, instructions to reduce speed to 50 MPH, and although the ride was noticeably rougher, I was able to continue on to my doctor appointment. After the appointment I drove back to my mechanic's and he replaced the tires with a set I had bought from a member here.

All in all, I drove at least another 50 miles that day with no problems and no damage to my rim or tire pressure monitor.

Good luck with your decision and again, welcome to the :CAC.

:wJane Ann

If you get a nail or screw in the tire (run flat or not), a plug kit and a tire compressor will fix it and you can drive on. If you get a cut in the tire, no plug kit or 'fix-a-flat' goo will fix it (run flat or not). But the run flat will still allow you to drive the car to a place where you can have it changed.

I have run-flats on all my 'spare-less' cars.

There are other run flats on the market that provide better ride and less noise than the OEM tires on the C5.

If I remember correctly the C5 Z06 came with non-run flats and a repair kit in the back.
Some came with a Deluxe kit that has a compressor,gage and tire Goo!! I found 1 at a salvage yard, added a Plug kit and stashed it in the back,34,000+ miles and have never had to use it!!:upthumbs
PS Thats 8,000 miles longer than the Run Flats,And I still have 1/2 my tires left!!I can still still hear the Stereo too!!:D:D:D

I have run flats for safety reasons. The Michelin run flats that I had installed ride as good as the Goodyear non-runflats that were on it, and are just as quiet, or even quieter. The Michelins are only rated for 50 miles with no air pressure, not the 200 miles that the Goodyears provide. Run flats have a bad rap because of the 200 mile requirement placed on the original Goodyears by GM. Those tires do ride very hard and are noisey because of the stiff sidewalls required to achieve 200 mile rating with no air pressure. Most non-Goodyear run flats are 50-100 mile rated with no air pressure, and are quiet and ride smooth. They are however still more expensive than non-run flats. Bottom line is that C5's do not have spare tires, and if you have a flat tire you will either need to fix it wherever the vehicle is parked at the time (which could be very ugly in the worst case senerio), or have it towed to a repair shop, if you don't have run flats.

Another note: you do not want to use fix-a flat in a wheel with a tire pressure moniter in it, it can (basically it will) ruin the sensor. C5 Z06's did not come with TPMS sensors.

I just don't like being stuck in some getto with a 6"sidewall cut @2am.
Vet Boy you"ll just have to find a new bar in a better neighborhood, closer to home. Paying off the bookie will keep him from slashing your tires. ;LOL

Vet Boy you"ll just have to find a new bar in a better neighborhood, closer to home. Paying off the bookie will keep him from slashing your tires. ;LOL
Yeah,He was in my neighbor hood last Thursday!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

YES - Welcome to the :CAC

I live on da road an like run-flats on the Roadster...

I have no problem with road noise but replaced the OEM Goodyear EMT's when da Roadster needed it's 2nd set of rubber!

:lou

I've used up a few sets of Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP RFT and think the next set will be the Pilot Sport A/S ZP.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
I am on my 2nd set of the Firehawks. The thought of being stuck with a flat in the middle of nowhere with no cell service is a scenario that I don't want to live through!

Other than one year that I had 3 flats in one summer, I have only had two other flat tires in my life. So average one every 10 years. With AAA I'll take my chances.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Thanks for the food for thought, that's why I joined.

DRKNT57 :beer

Run Flats

I'll stick with the run flats. two nails in 40K miles. One in a remote location Drove 75 miles with "0" tire pressure to the nearest dealer for repair and the tire is just fine after a $75 repair.

I need new tires so I'll wait for the Michelin Pilot PS2 ZP that ar OEM for the 09 ZR1 and are due out late summer in C5 & C6 sizes. and put them on C6 ZO6 chrome wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom