Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! run nitrogen in your vetts tires

As Hib points out, adding nitrogen to the tires may or may not be beneficial. I was really interested in the Oxygen suckers he offered, because even when filling the tires with Nitrogen, the tires still has 21% oxygen left in them when drained and refilled. I was going to purchase 4, one for each tire. The price seemed okay since Hib offered the BOGO for $40. The nitrogen system used at the dealers scavenges the oxygen from the atmosphere (which is the source of the "air" being placed in the tire) when filling each tire, but there is oxygen remaining in the tire space since they do not evacuate the air from the tire. I only used nitrogen in the 94 to keep from checking the spare every two months (dropping the carrier is a pain) and it does keep the tire pressure at the correct level on the other 4 tires in use. So, when I drive by the dealer every year in the 94, I have them refill with nitrogen. Too expensive to fill all of my vehicles with nitrogen, besides I do have a large compressor in the shop and check pressure monthly. I had read Hib's articles on the nitrogen for the tires, and they were mostly responsible for me not adding it to the run flats on my 02 coupe. Just my $.02 worth now that the stimulus check will be forth coming shortly.
Barrett

I only used nitrogen in the 94 to keep from checking the spare every two months (dropping the carrier is a pain)...
You know Barrett, you may have stumbled(?) on to the one potential benefit I can think of. Putting nitrogen in a spare tire. How often do we ever check our spare? Not as often as we should. (I don't even have one, but nonetheless...) If nitrogen does hold it's pressure longer in a properly sealed and conditioned wheel, then it probably makes sense to put it in a spare that doesn't get used/checked very often.

(My spare tire consists of two things. A dual pack of Fix-A-Flat and an insurance card. If the first item doesn't get me back on the road, then my insurance card gets me to my destination. :D)

(snip)
I was really interested in the Oxygen suckers he offered, because even when filling the tires with Nitrogen, the tires still has 21% oxygen left in them when drained and refilled. I was going to purchase 4, one for each tire. The price seemed okay since Hib offered the BOGO for $40.
(snip)
besides I do have a large compressor in the shop and check pressure monthly. I had read Hib's articles on the nitrogen for the tires, and they were mostly responsible for me not adding it to the run flats on my 02 coupe. Just my $.02 worth now that the stimulus check will be forth coming shortly.
Barrett

Well...Oxygensucker, LLC. is working on a new model which chucks into any air hose with a quick disconnect. It's called the OxygenSuperSucker. We sorta took to calling this project "O2-SS".:cool

First, you connect the device to your tire valve stem. Next, select "mode A" on the touch screen and select "start". The O2SS evacuates all air from the tire. Next you connect your airhose to the device. Then, select "mode B" on the touch screen and select "start". The OxygenSuperSucker separates the oxygen from from the compressed air then forces the remaining nitrogen into the tire. The inflation process stops when a pre-selected tire pressure is reached.

An option is the "Oxygen Storage Module" which can save the vented oxygen for sale to nearby "oxygen bars".

This new Oxygen Sucker product is still in the development stage. Watch for our upcoming advertisement, featuring Billy Mays, on MSNBC.

Gosh darn it....
:boogie
...I just have trouble being serious about this nitrogen thing or, maybe it's just the extra strong coffee I brewed this morning.

You guys a scaring the bejesus out of me :eek:hnoes

Have any of you considered what YOU ARE DOING TO PROMOTE Global WARMING???

Someone needs to contact Big AL and see if what you are doing cancels or negates his Carbon Offset Program, and if removing more nitrogen from the air is promoting the Human Global Warming syndrome :W

Maybe we'll have to start buying Nitrogen OffSets along with the Carbon OffSets for driving our Beloved Corvettes and SUV's :W :W ;shrug

Bud

UFO's

It's rumored that many of the flying vehicles being tested around AREA 51
are now using nitrogen in their landing apparatus.:L
Remo:cool

Flying_Saucer-web.jpg

It's rumored that many of the flying vehicles being tested around AREA 51
are now using nitrogen in their landing apparatus.:L
Remo:cool

picard.jpg

I think I'm starting to understand. If I use nitrogen in my tires, my car will no longer have a carbon footprint? It will now have (4) nitrogen footprints?;LOL

Sorry GMC_Kurt, I just couldn't resist.

Dennis

You know Barrett, you may have stumbled(?) on to the one potential benefit I can think of. Putting nitrogen in a spare tire. How often do we ever check our spare? Not as often as we should. (I don't even have one, but nonetheless...) If nitrogen does hold it's pressure longer in a properly sealed and conditioned wheel, then it probably makes sense to put it in a spare that doesn't get used/checked very often.

(My spare tire consists of two things. A dual pack of Fix-A-Flat and an insurance card. If the first item doesn't get me back on the road, then my insurance card gets me to my destination. :D)

Andre
Since I have Tire Pressure Sensors in both corvettes, I don't want to use Fix-A-Flat as I have read that it will damage the TPS system. I do have the insurance card tho, as I have not read anything about the card damaging the sensors. I hope I never have a flat with the 02 (no spare), but at least it will run flat up to 200 miles unless it blows out through the sidewall. Had that happen with my 91 at 5 am in Laramie, Wyoming and was glad I had the spare. It seems if there is one nail on the highway I am driving, it will end up in my tire.
Barrett

... air is 80% nitrogen so as far as psi goes, i would so much rather have 99% nitrogen in my tires than a mix of h2o and water. i t don't [sic] take a einstein to realize that the 99% of nitrogen will give you a much better ride, longer lasting tires, better gas mileage, and evenly compressed air throughout the tire...

Evenly compressed throughout the tire: Pascal's Law - a change in the pressure of an enclosed fluid is conveyed undiminished to every part of the fluid and to the surfaces of its container. In a tire, that means that the pressure is distributed evenly all throughout the tire. This is true regardless of the fluid.
Better ride: I would like to see data. How do you define better? Lateral g-forces, side wall flex, road noise, etc.
Longer Lasting tires: How so? Even if the inside of the tire was full of 100% nitrogen, the outside of the tire is surrounded by 100% air.

Dalton's law: the total pressure exerted by a gaseous mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual component in the gas mixture.
If you reduce the quantity of the individual component gases(assuming that those partial gases exhibit a greater change in pressure due to changes in temperature than nitrogen), then running ~100% nitrogen will result in reduced pressure change due to temperature. That is why it is race cars use nitrogen: so that they will have more consistent pressures when cold (when the pit crew fills them) and hot (when turning left at 180 miles per hour).

A couple of years ago when I need air in my tires, I went to my local gas station and their pump was not working. I then had trouble finding another air pump, since many gas stations are removing "Public" air pumps . SO i finally went to a local tire store who helped me out. A few months later I tried the now working local gas station air pump, but since i wasnt sure, I tested it with my finger (as described above). When I did, water poured out like a garden hose! I spoke to the "manager" and told him that he had water in the air tank. He had no clue what I was talking about. I then had him show me the tank and I proceeded to bleed the water out (no I didn't use the air that day). After that I got a small 2 cylinder 110V air pump and do it myself. The experience made me think how many cars are driving with substantial water in the tires??
Another experience: Although I haven't seen it recently, I once had a set of tires develop rubber balls inside. The tire person said that was common. The internal tire dust collects while spinning and literally "snowballs".

What about helium? It would make the car lighter, which should give it better gas milage, should save in the tires (less weight), make it go faster, and you may even get a little lift from a big bump. And it may even make your tires sound funny if you do a burnout (hahaha).

helium deflates in the winter

cold weather makes helium disolve, plus it might turn your vette into a balloon......:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom