Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rusting Floors

Corvette
1998 Convertible Black
In deciding to replace my old carpeting, I discovered that my floor pans are rusting away. I know this car sat for about 4 yrs with a cover on it and never knew the rust was that bad until now. Is there a easy way to cut out the rusting area and just tack in some new pans or try to shape something to fit.

Take a look at Corvette Central and Ecklers I believe both have replacement pans' you can order then weld in, I would not classify this as a "easy" fix but that is just me.

GO SOONERS
;LOL :beer

Jimred,

I had the same problem about two months ago with my 76. I looked around e-bay and other auction sites and the best price I could find for used floor pans were $125.00 per side. I contacted a local corvette guru and he told me that in order to replace the floor pans, it would be a major project. He told me that he could fix each side for $200.00 total. His trick was to use 16 oz. fiberglass.
Two days later and $200.00 less, I got my car back and everything looks great. Re-installed the new carpet and you cannot even tell.
Remember, ‘75 was the first year they went to metal floor pans due to the catalytic converter. If the metal under your passenger seat is in decent, fiberglass could be an option.

Just my two cents.

Thanx for the input. Just found my Corvette Central book and right on page 1 are the pans for 249 each. Guess I shop around first, else I will have to take my 75 to Carlisle this year so much for the extra storage space.

the metal in the floor pan on my 75 is flat. and is factory installed with 3/16" rivets and silicone.i can't see paying over 200 dollars for that.
it looks like a two hour fix to me. mine was good so i covered the inside with solid silicone to stop any water from contacting the metal.mike .
p.s. i'm glad someone mentioned this as i thought it was a repair or something.

I just used POR-15, now they are solid as ever. The silver POR-15 will fill in any small pin-holes you have. They now sell a floor pan kit that has a mesh material you lay down and cover up that will fill in larger holes. Check there web site. The stuff is good.
www.prp-porstore.com

I love POR 15. Used it on my other project car floors. Works great.

I used POR-15 power fiber mesh (same stuff that comes in their floor repair kit) or what ever they call it and you don't have to bother with Fiber Glass Resin. You basically lay the power mesh stuff down and soak it with POR 15. Seems to have worked pretty darn good. I think I did both sides for under a total of 50 bucks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom