Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rusty Floors

R

RustyVette

Hey guys, newbie here with a (what else) recently purchased 76 L-48. Car has rusted out floor pans as well as rust in the areas of the wells for the seat belt retractors. Before buying the car, my internet research led me to believe this was a $500 repair. However, the local body shop wants close to a grand to “fabricate” new floors for me and the other large shop wouldn’t touch it. I don’t think the car is worth 25% of its purchase price to repair the floors so my plan is to cut and bend up some sheet metal myself and pop rivet or sheet metal screw this to the floor pans and cover them with a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth. I understand Chevy went with the metal floors in part because of the heat generated by the Cat Converter, I no longer have that problem. Am looking into having a local welding shop reinforce the seat belt mounting locations as well as the outside rear mounts for the seats.

Question is has anyone gone this route before and what were your results? You can email me at Rustyreel@hotmail.com if you don’t want to post your response to the board (I’m sure I have offended the purist and NCRS guys by just asking the question).

Also looking for info on cleaning leather which is quite soiled and dye for carpets. Have seen posts on painting interior components but have not found anything on dyes.

I have been reading the board for a couple of months gleaning advise on buying my first, and probably only, Vette. Of course I ignored it all.

Thanks for your help.

Rusty,

I'm sure a saw an ad not too long ago for replacement floors,

I have no idea where the ad was, but I'd try to find out about this option first. It may save you some money and alot of work.

Goodluck, and people say Vette's don't rust!!

Rick

The May '02 issue of Corvette Fever has a write up in the Product Preview section abouta vendor that is selling replacement floorpans. These are for 76-82, USA made, di-stamped steel. Company is Auto Body Specialties, of Middlefield CT, (888) 277-1960.

tom...

Rusty, many years ago when I was fixing up an old 67 coupe for a daily driver I did use a product to dye the carpet. I didn't change the color which was black to black, but the end result was acceptable after brushing out the stiffness from the carpet. The savings was enormous by paying for two spray cans of carpet dye vs new carpet kit.

I am sorry that it was so long ago I do not remember the product name or manufacturer.

Good luck.

I also redyed my '67 faded black carpets once. They weren't show but were a definite improvement. Since they were just faded and not worn I could live with them in my daily driver.

Tom

RalleyRed said:
Rusty,

I'm sure a saw an ad not too long ago for replacement floors,

I have no idea where the ad was, but I'd try to find out about this option first. It may save you some money and alot of work.

Goodluck, and people say Vette's don't rust!!

Rick

True! I read it yesterday!
Paul

Thanks for the help guys. Seems replacement floor pans are popping up everywhere now. Also discovered the POR-15 floor pan repair kit. Looks like an economic alternative. Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has tried this product.

Also gonna go the the dye (paint) on the carpet to get them back to original color. They are in good conditon but have faded to some sort of pumpkin color where exposed to the sun.

Tks again.
Doug C.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom