Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

RUTT ROW SHAGGY

• Thread starter Thread starter Craigars 84 Vette
  • Start date Start date
C

Craigars 84 Vette

Finally started her up after a year since she crapped out on me. There's alot of knocking upstairs. What's the worst I can expect from this? Got any goos suggestions?

You say it crapped out . What happened ? and what are you hearing?

Glenn
:w

What happened?

Took the car on the track a few times a little over a year ago. Straight track, went down the track about 10 times throughout the evening and she did fine (The Car). LOL On the ride back home the engine started to rattle and there wasn't any loss of power. By the time I got home she stalled crossing the highway to get to my house, stared back up and barely limped into the driveway and there she sat for a year. Don't have the money to fix her right now times are tough. I really don't know much about cars but I'm willing to turn a wrench and learn so I'm trying to enlist a friend or two to give me a hand. What do you think it is? Sounds like the tapping/rattling (Rattling) is coming from the top end.

I might be able to give a hand but it would have to be sometime after the beginning of the year. Im not that far from you, I'm in the Pass. We go up to Squggins :chuckle pretty regular to play golf. Right now though I'm in HI for work.

:w
:pat

Helping Hand

That'd be great! I'd seriously appreciate that. I'm leaving for Afghanistan around March for a little R&R. LOL I'll be there for about a year so if we don't do it before then maybe we can work something out when I get back.

Did I check the oil???

Florida Guy....Wasn't ingnoring you, honest. I changed the oil putting 4 quarts back into the engine (didn't change the filter this time) With the noise (rattling) I'm wondering if the oil pump is working. Can anybody give me a box of clues? How do I check the oil pump?

If the noise is in the top of the engine my first guess would be a bent push rod, Second guess would be stuck hydraulic lifters. You could start by taking the valve covers off and checking the push rods and rocker arms for excessive play. While you have the covers off start the engine and see if the oil pump is pumping oil to the top of the engine. If no oil comes up through the oil passages then you might have a bad oil pump. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out. As for your upcoming R&R Stay low and safe.

Thank You

Thanks for the help and concern. Is there a way I can check the oil pump prior to removing the valve covers?

Thanks for the help and concern. Is there a way I can check the oil pump prior to removing the valve covers?

You might try removing the oil filler cap with the engine running and see if you can see oil misting in the cover. When you start the engine what kind of oil pressure does the oil pressure gauge show. It should be about mid range on cold oil and around 20 to 25# on warm oil at idle. If you don't have any oil pressure on gauge shut the engine down immediately. Unless the oil pressure switch is bad this is a good indication that the oil pump is bad. Good Luck

Oil Pressure

When I start the engine the oil pressure is at 80 psi. I was told that this was normal until you actually start driving the car and then it'll increase. Good thing is that it doesn't have a low reading or none at all. That rattling I hear just sounds like the rockers toggling away. I'm not a mechanic but I'd bet that there's no oil getting up in there. If this is the case I'm wondering how much damage was done if any. I'll try starting it and peeking inside with a flash light to see if there's oiling going on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom