Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sad sight

Garagetoyz

Corvette
78 Silver Anniversary 4 spd Crate engine
I am a contractor and I see many peoples houses due to that. In the past year I have seen 2 sights that have sickened me. A few months ago I found a red 1969 gt 500 shelby with a 428 4spd original sitting in a garage for 12 years covered by cloth and dust with 2 flats. What a nice car and its worth about $100,000 and it sits there but thats a different story. Today I was called into a garage by another homeowner and he showed me a terrible sight.
Inside his garage was a dark green 1969 corvette . Underneath the car were 4 flats with the car practically touching the floor. Cobwebs connected the frame to the concrete. Covered by at least an inch of dust its chrome but silent exhaust tips stood mightly out for me to see. Garbage stacked on top of it made it look like it had been forgotten about for a long time. Looking inside the car was no better, it stunk of mildew and mice. All complete and original to boot at least it was inside the garage.. but what a mess.
And of course "he was gonna fix-er up someday". He's had it since it was new but at the age of 72, I thought "what are you waiting for?" I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

I have a neighbor that moved in 4 houses down from me about 6 months ago. In his garage sits a 68 convertable 427 tri-power 4speed. Needs some TLC but is all there. I haven't seen the garage door open once since I stopped by & introduced myself & he showed me the car, 5 months ago. What a shame, & OF COURSE he won't sell it. Makes you wonder whats sitting in the garages through out the country!

And of course "he was gonna fix-er up someday". He's had it since it was new but at the age of 72, I thought "what are you waiting for?" I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Yes. Believe it or not, some people actually do it. After tiring of racing and repairing, and repairing and repairing, mine sat in the backyard for over 16 years until I finally decided to "fix-er up". ;)

The full story is here -- www.67HEAVEN.com

As a UPS driver I also get to see many garages. When i see an old car, i ask if its ever driven and get the same"Well i start it every once in awhile"reply.Of course they never want to sell.

About 15 years ago, my wife and I took Amtrak out to Cal. to visit our son. It was amazing the number of vehicles, not necessarily Vettes, that were setting behind buildings. Especially the farther west we got. They appeared as though they were put back there and forgotten, just wastin' away.

I am a contractor and I see many peoples houses due to that. In the past year I have seen 2 sights that have sickened me. A few months ago I found a red 1969 gt 500 shelby with a 428 4spd original sitting in a garage for 12 years covered by cloth and dust with 2 flats. What a nice car and its worth about $100,000 and it sits there but thats a different story. Today I was called into a garage by another homeowner and he showed me a terrible sight.
Inside his garage was a dark green 1969 corvette . Underneath the car were 4 flats with the car practically touching the floor. Cobwebs connected the frame to the concrete. Covered by at least an inch of dust its chrome but silent exhaust tips stood mightly out for me to see. Garbage stacked on top of it made it look like it had been forgotten about for a long time. Looking inside the car was no better, it stunk of mildew and mice. All complete and original to boot at least it was inside the garage.. but what a mess.

The reason they won't sell is that the car has memories from a better time and they hope to revisit that experience with that vehicle at some time in the future. By selling that vehicle it wipes out any chance of reconnecting to that time/experience. They would rather hold on to the vehicle and let it rot then exercise themselves of the possibility of no return. It's not always about the financial return or the enjoyment of that vehicle to another loving owner- it's all about hope. I think I can speak of this experience. I had my Vette layed up for 8 years. After a while , people chimed in that I should sell it- for lack of use. I knew that I would reconnect after I took care of financial and family issues. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Some don't get that break - so they rot and eventually the car goes somewhere. Just think about it- if it were yours. Would you want to sell something that has that much emotional attachment?

It's amazing what you can see from a train that you will never see from the street out front.

The reason they won't sell is that the car has memories from a better time and they hope to revisit that experience with that vehicle at some time in the future. By selling that vehicle it wipes out any chance of reconnecting to that time/experience. They would rather hold on to the vehicle and let it rot then exercise themselves of the possibility of no return. It's not always about the financial return or the enjoyment of that vehicle to another loving owner- it's all about hope. I think I can speak of this experience. I had my Vette layed up for 8 years. After a while , people chimed in that I should sell it- for lack of use. I knew that I would reconnect after I took care of financial and family issues. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Some don't get that break - so they rot and eventually the car goes somewhere. Just think about it- if it were yours. Would you want to sell something that has that much emotional attachment?

Brucebed,

I like what you said, so true.

If I were to have problems where I was not in the position to fix mine, because of family or money situations or what ever....the 81 would still sit and would not be sold.
If it took me 10 years to get to the old guy well so be it, but I would not sell it...way to many memories to give up.
I hope I make sense.
:beer

The guy across and a little down the road from me has a white 79 thats been setting in front of his garage for about a year now. He's got a 4 car garage and a horse barn so you'd think he could at least keep it indoors. He's kinda the weirdo on the street and I've never even talked to him in the 9 years he's been there(we're on big lots, 5 acres, so he's pretty far away). Been thinking of leaving a note or something in his mailbox about it to see if I get any reply. Hate to see it just setting there. I also see a mahogony 75-77 coupe sitting in a front yard with several other old cars and trucks on my route to work. Nothing special except the Vette. Would like to find out about that one too. What's the best way to go about something like this? Another note in the box? Don't wanna get shot at or have dogs sicked on me. Mike

Something I have said before, some of these cars we see wrotting away are normally the owners dream, they kinda have blinders on and dont see the car as being ruined.

there going to get around to fixing it someday

But the minute they sell it the dream is over.

Next time you see one wrotting away you might have a better chance of purchasing it in the future by expplaining to the owner how to take steps to preserve the car

The guy across and a little down the road from me has a white 79 thats been setting in front of his garage for about a year now. He's got a 4 car garage and a horse barn so you'd think he could at least keep it indoors. He's kinda the weirdo on the street and I've never even talked to him in the 9 years he's been there(we're on big lots, 5 acres, so he's pretty far away). Been thinking of leaving a note or something in his mailbox about it to see if I get any reply. Hate to see it just setting there. I also see a mahogony 75-77 coupe sitting in a front yard with several other old cars and trucks on my route to work. Nothing special except the Vette. Would like to find out about that one too. What's the best way to go about something like this? Another note in the box? Don't wanna get shot at or have dogs sicked on me. Mike

Send him a letter. The only expense is a stamp and some of your time. If you climb on somebodies property(uninivited) then it becomes personal. You generally won't have a shot. You have to look at the situation from the owners perspective. They can still see that vehicle outside there home. It's like giving up one of your children for adoption. I think it would be akin to an open adoption. If you could include the owners participation and show/drive the finished vehicle, that would give them some reason to relinquish the abandoned vehicle. Just my .02.

I have three neighbors with classic cars that don't get driven. I've never seen two of these cars out of their garages and on the street. One has a black 68 SS 396 Chevelle. I've heard it start only a couple times - the big block sounds awesome. The other is a green 72 Corvette roadster that has had the convertible hatch in the open position and tires off for the last three years. I know it's a 72 only because the license plate holder reads "1972 Corvette"..... Perhaps it's being worked on - I've never heard it started. I hope to talk to the guy someday... The last car is a sky blue convertible Mustang. It appears to be around a 73 (it's one of those big and wide Mustangs). I've seen that car on the road only once in the past three years.

Why not take a another approach - ask what it is that you can do to help him/her get it fired up again. Or make him/her an "honorary" member of your local club and get them out to a few events, maybe even get some club members involved to make his/her dream become more of a reality.

My guess is these guys love these cars as much as we do, but have no idea where to start and are not going to ask for help.

Now, let me tell you about the dusty old moldy car in my garage..........

They are out there, pepole who say they're gonna fix 'em up, and do get 'em in great condition, but thats a rare thing. The others sit and continue to fall deeper with each day that passes. I do have to say though, my vette is in good shape, after this winter, after i get the news trans and paint, and anything else I decide to do, done, mine will be in great shape. Its my first car, ive had it about a year, i worked hard for it (payed and fixin up with my own money), and im 16. When your 16 and have a nice Stingray, its a BIG DEAL! If mine was to get in an accident, if someone took me out drivin a duelly, I would still fight to get it back, even if it was a complete loss, set it in the garage and restore it back. Seeing these cars, wanting to be shown off and driven, doing the complete opposite is a sad sight.
http://www.carsinbarns.com/Bowties%20In%20Barns/index.htm
my 2 pennies,
best wishes
zachh

I have seen three vette's in garages in my area. One guy I have not been able to connect with.. another drives his fairly often (it's C5 Z06). The third guy I had seen the vette before I got mine.. junk piled on it just sittin in the garage. After I got mine I stopped and knocked on the door one day (regular suburban setting so I didn't even think about being shot at).

I introduced myself and told him where I lived.. a few houses down. Told him I had seen his vette a while back and that I was curious about it, since I had just picked one up. He actually came out and looked mine for a while and told me about his. It had been sitting for 5 years since he had gotten in a wreck, lady ran a stop sign and hit him. Around a month later I saw it out in the driveway.. so I stopped again. He had decided to get it fixed up about a week after I spoke with him. He had taken it to a mechanic to get it running and it still needs paint from the body work done shortly after the wreck. It's been several months now and I still see him drive it once in a while.. still needs paint. It's an interesting custom.. 1970 350/350 4 speed. Has widened flairs in the rear and a tilt front with fixed (square) lights. Hooker sides and "turbo fan" mags. It also has metal louvers on the back that almost gives it the look of a '78. The interior was re-done in the early '80's and came from a '79 I think. I really need to see if he'll let me take some pics to post, or get him to join.

-steve

I know of a '63 ZO6, sitting in a fenced in field back home. It's been there for at least 35 years. The property has changed hands 3-4 times that I know of, but NONE of them will sell the car. No-one knows who even owns it, but there is a stipulation of some sort that goes with the property that the cars(there are several others out there) cannot be sold, or removed. Can't get to it to "borrow" it at nite, either...don't ax how I know...:r

I understand totally and agree guys. Especially since he claims to have bought it new that he is very attached to it. He was a nice guy (he even paid me!) and we talked for a while. I like hanging out with a fellow vette owner discussing cubic inch etc...But heres a retired guy in a big nice house, I think all he needs is some motivation so I tried my best to talk to him about how great I think C3's are so maybe it will help push him a little... or at the very least remind him thats its there. I'll snap a photo of it so I can show all how unhappy I thought it was.
mkapp7879 usually a third party who does know the guy is the best way to get inside inside info. Just a suggestion but I had great luck with a 63 Impala SS that I bought like that.
Now if someone sees a nice big block vette laying around ..........:)

Wanta buy?

I have a 56' Ford pickup big window that someone stuck a 460 in it. It just sits in my garage. I will sell it.

Something I have said before, some of these cars we see wrotting away are normally the owners dream, they kinda have blinders on and dont see the car as being ruined.

there going to get around to fixing it someday

But the minute they sell it the dream is over.

Next time you see one wrotting away you might have a better chance of purchasing it in the future by expplaining to the owner how to take steps to preserve the car

Bring cash. Money Talks and BS walks. If they are in financial trouble, a little green under the nose goes a long way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom