Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Safety worries - brakes and seat belts

Corvette
1993 coupe ZF manual
Hello this is my first thread!

BRAKES
I haven't owned a Corvette so I dont know how the brakes are supposed to be. I don't feel a good or strong "bite" when I press down hard and they dont stop the car very fast.
I had the brake fluid changed last week and it improved the braking but not the "bite"

Is this normal or is the braking supposed to be as good as more modern cars? I have a 10 year old 4 door with good brakes nothing sporty and the bite is a lot better and braking is stronger.

BELT
I noticed the belt does not lock when I yank it hard. Someone said it does not work like modern belts and to test it from a hard brake. I have not been able to do that because of the braking I just mentioned. Anyone else know much about the belts?

NOT complaining about the braking if its supposed to be this way just figuring it out. Thanks for the help

RECORDS - 95 C4 Stock brakes and wheels
50 miles ago: inspect brake system and pressure bleed. replaced with DOT 4 fluid

4,000 miles ago: replaced power brake booster

8,000 miles ago: turned front rotors, replace rear rotors, replace front and rear pads (Delco pads), flush and bleed.

Sounds to me like the brake pads were not burnished in properly

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Do the brakes act this way always or only on startup? If only on startup and work better after a little time, you may have ceramic pads, that's the way they work.

Do the brakes act this way always or only on startup? If only on startup and work better after a little time, you may have ceramic pads, that's the way they work.

The car braking has been like this since I bought it a couple months ago. I have not driven it much but the brakes do get a little better with more driving just a little.

Would I get better braking if I replace the brake lines? Or is that just to avoid corrosion and leaking? Thanks

So in testing the seatbelts and brakes, I got the ABS to activate. During these tests the brakes slowed the car better than I anticipated. So maybe I just have to get used to putting a lot of pressure on the breaks.

With no traffic around I tried at 50 mph, no ABS
Tried again right away at 40 mph and pushed harder, no
35 and pushed even harder and used steering wheel a little bit as leverage, no ABS
35 again with two feet on the brake and still nothing
40 with 2 feet again and no luck
Finally got it at 30 mph with one foot. I pushed down and added more pressure as the car slowed down. Light when on and I heard a sound

I guess the last test is what I was supposed to do, its realistic but BOY OH BOY I've been able to activate ABS in other cars a lot easier. Again, I'm NOT complaining just figuring out if this is normal. Does the C4 ABS take about that much pressure usually? I haven't had any ABS warning lights since I've owned it the past 3 months

What will replacing the brake lines do? I thought that was just for preventative maintenance? Or will that increase braking power? SIDENOTE - No, I'm not a fragile old man lol

Last edited:
What will replacing the brake lines do? I thought that was just for preventative maintenance? Or will that increase braking power? SIDENOTE - No, I'm not a fragile old man lol

If there is no current issue with the brake lines, you will spend some $$ without any change. If you want to change out the brake likes, I would get the stainless steel wrapped lines. Typically you will have a higher degree of protection and security. If you have some internal breakdown in your current lines, they will definitely improve your safety and braking ability.

I have stainless lines, drilled and slotted rotors along with ceramic pads. Ceramic pads take longer to warm up and get full braking ability than semi-metallic pads but when used hard will grab more and longer. I don't know I would have put them in myself, they were in the car when I purchased it.

If there is no current issue with the brake lines, you will spend some $$ without any change. If you want to change out the brake likes, I would get the stainless steel wrapped lines. Typically you will have a higher degree of protection and security. If you have some internal breakdown in your current lines, they will definitely improve your safety and braking ability.

I have stainless lines, drilled and slotted rotors along with ceramic pads. Ceramic pads take longer to warm up and get full braking ability than semi-metallic pads but when used hard will grab more and longer. I don't know I would have put them in myself, they were in the car when I purchased it.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to start by checking the lines and getting better pads.

Thankyou and everyone else for the help!

I don't like what you describe ,my 90 is one of the best braking cars I have ever had. I wonder it there is air in the system or the master cyl isn't in the best shape. I use heavy toe pressure to stop my 90. If you press on the pedal for a min or two does it slowly go down ?

I don't like what you describe ,my 90 is one of the best braking cars I have ever had. I wonder it there is air in the system or the master cyl isn't in the best shape. I use heavy toe pressure to stop my 90. If you press on the pedal for a min or two does it slowly go down ?

I agree with this, maybe calipers not working in the rear? Sounds like all the wheels aren't working to stop the car. Braking should be spot on especially with four channel ABS. I once had rotors not properly machined by a dealership and caused hard braking, always bought new ones from that point on. Hope you find it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom