Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Saga continues...84 dash

S

stick105

Ok... I have found and repaired all the cut wires in my 1984's center dash wire harness. Turned out it was the radio and defroster wire harnesses. I have spliced in used harnesses from the corvette junkyard near me and now all wires are accounted for. I installed the newly rebuilt dash cluster provided by Gary's Corvettes in TX, and BAM!!! Still have a 12.20 volt drain from the battery and the directional and hi-beam indicators on the dash don't light. I remove the L.C.D. fuse and the drain goes away along with my dash. HELP!!!

not sure how the dash works, all I've done is take my dash out and resolder the joints. Hopefully someone will come along smarter then me.

Thanks for the reply. This things got me going in all directions.

Directional and High beam not lighting usually has to do with ground. Not much help but I would ground everything directly to battery to try isolating issues.

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess that's the number one answer when dealing with a fiberglass car. Not much metal. I will try digging in the harness for grounds. Thanks again.

If you've got too much current drain from the battery with the dash module plugged in, you don't have a ground problem. You have a short circuit problem. You'll have to separate the circuits, or remove light bulbs to narrow down what's causing the excessive current drain.

If you had a bad ground, there would be no current drain.

Hey thanks for the reply. Would you say the short is in the new cluster or in the harness? With the cluster out of the car their is no drain, so that leads me to believe the cluster is where the short is. What do you think?

You might try hooking a volt meter to the battery and pulling the fuses one at time to see if the drain goes away. If so you have isolated the circuit that is the culprit.:confused

I did do that and isolated it to the LCD fuse. I am now wondering if the short is in the cluster or ECM or the wire harness between the two.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom