Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Digital Dash grounding problems.

S

slashnick

I have been having the problem of my lights on my dash going out and the signals and high beam indicator comming on. I sent my dash out for repairs and have since got it back. When I reinstalled it, it worked fine for about 20 minutes, then went dark. Once again the high beam and turn signals were illuminated.

Since I just had the dash repaired I figured it was the grounding wires that came from the 32 pin connector. I cut the 2 grounding wires (D1 & D3 ) and ran them to a new grounding point.
Still no lights. I tested the new ground by removing it and when I did so, the high beam and signal indicators went out, when I reattached it, they came back on.

Do I need to run a new ground from the 24 pin connector too? What else could be the problem?

Thanks.

Ok first your assuming that the dash is not the problem. I have repaired my dash 2 or 3 times sometimes having a problem as soon a I put it back in. In the past my first test would be to push on the dash right behind were the key is. This seems to flex the board were the main pins go between the two boards. In my case this caused the lights to come back on. If this works the Dash still has a problem. Here is the info I used to repair my dash.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/index.shtml

If this does not work maybe there is another early c4 owner living near you that would be willing to let you swap displays for testing. Anyway good luck.

I'm assuming the dash isn't the problem so I don't have to send it back out to be fixed again. I want to make sure I cover any problems that could come from the car. The guy who fixed it gives a 95 day warrany with his work, but sending it out again is a last resort.

I ran a new ground on the 2 wires for the 32 pin connecter, but not the 24. Should a new ground for the 24 pin be my next step?

The 24 pin connector only connects the dash to the Driver Information Center.

Where did you run the new D1/3 ground wire too? Did you check the ground to see if you have a good ground? Digital meter reading should be zero or 10.0 ohms for a good ground. A poor ground would give a high resistance reading

Did you check the 5 amp LCD fuse in the panel?

D5 (orange) should always have 12 volts coming from the LCD fuse. C16 & D16 are ignition on power to the cluster.

If you have a good ground and good power to the three power inputs then it should light up. Otherwise you need to use that warranty.

Let us know how it turns out.

I will get out my multimeter and check all thoes things tomorrow or the next day. I'm getting my wisdom teeth out and i dont know if I will be in the mood to work on the car. Thanks for the direction! I will definatly check back in.

Why haven't you sent your dash back to the vendor? All your symptoms point to a problem within the dash and you're wasting your time chasing after bad grounds, if the cluster itself is not working. Repairs on these dashs are no longer DIY due to the age of the clusters, i.e., they are usually beyond 4 new lamps and some touch up soldering.. If your vendor can't fix it , we can.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom