Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Same but Different (Gears!)

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
1985 Corvette 4+3 (have no idea about the options yet) Id like to inexpensivly change out my rear end. I saw some change over pieces for like 1400 US!! Thats to much for me this year, but is there a cheaper route? Id like 3.53's or 3.73's if anyone can help or if anyone has something for sale could you let me know please.

i currently have a question like this i think u can just switch some gears with the stock but i am not for sure would wait for 69 myway or ken

hope this helps a bit

vent

BigRed said:
1985 Corvette 4+3 (have no idea about the options yet) Id like to inexpensivly change out my rear end. I saw some change over pieces for like 1400 US!! Thats to much for me this year, but is there a cheaper route? Id like 3.53's or 3.73's if anyone can help or if anyone has something for sale could you let me know please.

The actual gear set is not that expensive at all. The $1,400 you are looking at is a exchange/complete rebuild on your rear axle.

The trick to changing gears has to do with the proper shim and alignment of the pinion to ring gear settings. Too tight and the differential will eventually die, too loose, and the same problem. They will actually paint a colored grease on the gears and rotate them to watch the pattern that they smash the grease on each other during assembly.

We have a local guy. He works a normal 40 hour plus work week, but also has a full service transmission and differential shop. His shop is called Gears. His name is Mike. He does all my differentials and manual gear boxes. You can get out the door under $500 pulling the diff yourself and taking it to him for new bearings, seals, gears, and settings.

If you contact www.tpis.com they can sell you the full gear set, then you just find somebody like mike to install them, or buy the gauge and measuring kit from a local tool jobber (snap on, etc.) and do it yourself.

Ok I'll have someone do it, Ive never done a transmission or Rear End before just engines and service stuff. I'll take a look at TPiS and call around to the local shops, Thanks Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom