Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

sandblasting was not fun today

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
tried to sandblast the frame today....good day for it...sun shinning about 50 degrees out....except the sandblaster kept plugging up.....first tried black diamond....that wasn't even close to working....so got that back out of the blaster and went with aluminum oxide...worked better, but still had problems getting it to go.....after about 3 hours and not getting very far, decided that I would take the frame to someone else that does this for a living....life is too short to have this kind of frustration.....Sharon told me....hey you got the money...save some years on your life and let someone else have the frustration.....so I am.....then powder coating.....and perhaps I can get on with assembly........this was not a fun nor a rewarding day.....

A local monument manufacturing company did my entire frame, several sub pieces and four rally wheels for $125.00.

Any place that makes cemetery monuments should be able to do it for you.

frame22.jpg

frame24.jpg

Get References

Try to find a place that does media blasting, not just sand or grit. Try to ask around for people that have used a place with a good reputation and an easy but thorough touch. Too bad you're so far from me, i have a friend in the business.

I will find someone tomorrow......need to get it done while the weather is still nice.....don't want to get it blasted and then have to drive it in the rain.....got to time this just right......grrrrrrrrrr.......

Sharon told me that her accountant for her business owns a monument company...so she is going to check with her and see if they will do it.....good suggestion....

Monument companies can do it.

67HEAVEN said:
A local monument manufacturing company did my entire frame, several sub pieces and four rally wheels for $125.00.

Any place that makes cemetery monuments should be able to do it for you.

Yep, the local monument owner told me that he would do my frame for a $100.00. I haven't brought it to him yet but I figured that would be a $100.00 well spent!!!:D

58n65

Monument company

Hello Herb
If you get a gravestone company to sandblast it for you.......and you thought it would be neat to etch the year of your car into the side of the frame.....say like this
1960 - _____
DON'T DO IT
That is a bad idea and if you do, I am never riding in your car
I am getting tired, but I just had to say this before I went to bed
Tom

My vote has always been if you got alot to blast hire it out. I have a gravity 100lb blaster ,and a small blast cabinet. I use the blast cabinet all the time.

If your glogging up and your material is clean and sifted its normally because your getting water from the compressor.

You should have a water seperator installed on the discharge line of the compressor. You should also dump the water out of the compressor dailey when using it for blasting, My compressor is rated at 14 cfm at 90 psi when ever i have alot of blasting that I cant hire out (more then an hours worth of work) Then I bring the work to my shop I have a gas powered compressor tha does 25cfm at 100psi it makes small work of things

I was aware before I got started to be careful of moisture....but this got plugged before the compressor had even cycled two times...I had loaded Black Diamond in it....and wham....it was plugged right away...took it apart and found teflon tape in the bottom from when it had been made....fixed that and put back together....wham.....plugged again.....after experiencing this plugging several times, I took the Black Diamond out and put in aluminum oxide....this did a little better....but it also was plugging....so I am finding a source to do the blasting....so far here is what I found...

blast the frame $300
blast the frame and powder coat $650 (I supply the powder)

Called two monument suppliers and both are very busy and have no desire to put this in their current work load....

I can powder coat the frame at work, but would have to do it on Saturday and I need a lab guy or two to come in....not sure I can get them...

so...will know in a day or so what I am doing.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What about the rust on the inside of the frame? The inside is rusty too. Just got my 72 frame stripped and e-coated along with front control arms,rear trailing arms, diff. crossmember,rad support & front crossmember for $1000. Excelent job and worth every penny.

If it hasn't been mention here yet ..I'll take a shot..

After you get the frame blasted... Prime it or paint it as soon as you can... Like maybe the same day if possable. It will start to rust that quick.. As far as spending the money goes to have it done......Spend the money..!! Life is to short for dirty jobs..

After my frame was blasted.. it was painted the same day. While it was their...I had Rob English ..Of "Restoration Connection" Assemble the suspension parts on the frame so it was a rolling chassie. The frame was then delivered to me and rolled into my Gee-Rage.

I finished the rest of the assembly of the suspension at home. It was worth spending the extra money to have this done. Less work and more fun for me...:beer

Actually the reason a monument company probably doesn't want to do this is they recycle the white sand normally used in the blast process. (Not all companies use sand some use a very fine glass shot). What happens is the recycled sand accumulates grease and oil in it from blasting the frame and it will leave a non-removable oil stain on the granite and marble that monuments are manufactured from when reused. The reason I am aware of this is my family business in the way back was in monuments and I use to make money on the side blasting parts for cars for buddies. I did this without my Dad's permission and it ended badly with a number of customer monuments ruined because of oil stains. I would look for a company that blast building and stuctures. They don't recycle and would not be concerned with the oil and grease residue.

Randy:upthumbs

sandblasting and POR 15

Hello 67
Did you use Por 15 on your frame? There is a place in Port Perry On that sells it, which is only 1/2 hr away from me
My own frame painting is not that far off.....I am serious this time....I am getting close
take care
Tom

henny496 said:
Hello 67
Did you use Por 15 on your frame? There is a place in Port Perry On that sells it, which is only 1/2 hr away from me
My own frame painting is not that far off.....I am serious this time....I am getting close
take care
Tom

Yes. I got it from Jim McMillen, on the island. Make sure to buy Metal Ready at the same time. ;)

MetalReady-160.jpg

caswell-canada@caswellplating.com

I was checking on the phosphate treatment for my frame and after doing some more research found that if the frame was sandblasted people like Eastwood do not reccomend etching or any other kind of pretreatment prior to powder coating.....if you are going to use something else, then you would want to use the pretreatment to get maximum adhesion.....I am planning on powder coating.....so I am going to powder coat as soon after as possible to minimize any new rust forming.

Guys in the lab told me that I needed to put the frame in an oven first at about 400 degrees for an hour to force any of the sand that embedded itself into the frame to "pop out", otherwise when we cure the powder on the frame for the first time the embedded sand will "pop out" and blow through the powder coating.....

As far as worrying about the inside, I have decided that after the frame is painted that I will have the inside shot with some kind of rust inhibitor that is sprayed under new cars.....got to figure out where....but no big deal.....

I am not worried about this car going to my grand kids....or even my kids for that matter....this baby is going to be driven and driven hard....it only has to last me 10-15 years.....then by that time, it can be the next guys issue....the frame is solid.....I am not worried about rusting from the inside out, particularly if I coat the inside to slow it down....

Also, on the bottom of the frame, we welded inbetween each stich weld to eliminate the rust coming from the inside out.....

my 2 cents.....

Herb

I had mine acid dipped for $175 - turned out great - it gets out the rust on the inside and outside, taking it down to bare metal. I then had it painted inside and out. I used Houston Metal Stripping. You might look to see if there is a local place that could do it for you.

Herb -

These folks might be able to help you, and I think they are up in your corner of the state:

American Metal Cleaning Inc.
Toledo, OH
419-255-1828
www.americanmetalcleaninginc.com

I am considering using them for a non-Corvette project later this year. I know nothing about them other than seeing their ad in Hemmings.​

John

thanks, I will follow up with the guys in toledo and see what they cost and have to offer....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom