Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sanderson Headers

H

Hijinx

Does anybody have experience with Sanderson headers? They have one of the widest arrays of headers I have seen. But I have no clue what their quality is like. Any one know?

Sanderson is a quality product made mostly for the street rod market. I'm not aware of specific application headers. Their Chevy headers are mostly block hugger headers that move the outlet closer to the engine block to clear early Ford frames ect. An example of a Sanderson Header application would be small block Chevy into '28-'48 Ford chassis. If you used these in a Corvette you would need custom bent front pipes to line up with the header outlets. You would be better off buying a header designed for your specific application. If Sanderson makes such a product I have never seen them.

Tom

Tom, your right, they do specialize in the block hugger type. However, they also make a number of higher flow (better looking) reproduction cast exhaust manifolds. Some of their bock hugger designs look to be equal length. They have 12 designs that will fit the Corvette. Check them out http://www.sandersonheaders.com/make&model/corvettemm.htm

Their cast units look pretty cool.

Usually I put Sanderson on the street rods. Even at that, I have had to heat and pound a couple of them to get them to fit right.

This is so strange. The Headman that I put on the 1990 Corvette did not require the first modification. No dimpling, grinding, bending, cussing--they went straight on with zero hassles.

The Hookers I am fitting to the big block hate me. I have beat, pounded, and will be grinding on them today to get a good fit. In fact, it reminds me of the Sanderson headers I put on the last street rod.

However, I have talked to other people that will tell you a headman is a piece of junk, and hookers are perfect.

Who knows? My new outlook is to get a header in the painted version (cost less too). Test fit it on the car. When you know it fits, send it out to get coated. That way you don't end up dimpling a freshly coated or plated header.

I'm familiar with the cast headers too. They are a nice product but again they fit "tight to the block" so you would need a custom bent front pipe. If you are doing a custom exhaust system this would be ok. There is really no need for block hugger type headers on a Corvette since the frame rails are wide enough to clear even 4 into 1 headers and the stock manifolds point straight down. Keep in mind that the block huggers have a tighter initial bend to get the pipes closer to the block. For high performance the exhaust should have the largest radius bends and as few bends as possible.

I agree with Chris on the Headmans. Even most of the magazines say they are the most hassle free headers to install and fit the best. I have personally found Headmans to be a bolt on every time I have used them. The old style tri Y Headmans I had on a '56 Chevy were an excellent fit and solid built.

I have always wondered why people buy headers coated or plated when it seems that there is usually some modification needed. Get them bare or painted like Chris said. Fit them to the car and then send them out for coating. Of course if you know of someone that has the same application with no fitment problems then you could take a chance on buying them already coated.

Tom

Dropped mine off at the ceramic coaters today! He said that after being ceramic coated, if needed you can use a towel and hammer to tap out areas with no damage to the coating. However, he agreed with me that fitting them first is the best bet.

Dimpling mine didn't hurt the coating; we used a towel and a impact hammer with a ball-pean head.

_ken

HAs anyone have am opinon about Thorley headers?

I am think of getting a set for my 68. Last time I was at the speed shop they sales guy told me about them. I was looking at a set of hooker supercomp headers.

Just looking for any info.

Thanks

I used them on my '59 in '71 and they were a good fit with good plug access. The only problem was that the first set I got had 2 left sides in the box. :crazy On the solid axle the collectors were too low to hook into a stock exhaust system so I had to use custom pipes that exited out the side. Other than that I thought they were a good product. My friend then used them on his '61 drag car for several years until he sold it.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom