Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

satellite radio or mp3 player

DukeOfEarl

Corvette
2003 Corvette Z06
On my center console, I have a usb cable and the guy who owned the vette before I bought it had his phone hooked up
on there to listen to music.
I was thinking of an MP 3 player and down load my 50 and 60's rock.
Since he has that cable, does the radio in that car have an auxillary so I can play on an mp3 player.
Car is in paint shop so I can't check it out.
Also can I control the volume and speekers on the original radio using the mp3 player.

Next question I I go with satellite, where would they mount it so it is ease of acess.

Thank you

Attachments

• E3C92030-D35B-4F98-90A6-B538E4805C25_14_800600[1].jpg
    E3C92030-D35B-4F98-90A6-B538E4805C25_14_800600[1].jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 125
Hey there DukeofEarl,

I have a vert, but it looks like you have the same radio as me. I had a SONY MP3 in my C5 for a bit. My MP3 used the 2.5mm headphone input jack, which is the same as my Motorola Droid phone. The Apple iPod uses their own rectangle jack, which will also charge the Apple unit. The cable was connected inline with the factory radio wire harness. In order to listen to the MP3 (or phone when I would plug it in), I would simply turn the radio on, and press the 'AUX' button, and voila, tunes!

I wasn't able to run the MP3 player thru the factory radio, just via the physical MP3 and phone. The volume setting was operational on the MP3, as well as on the factory radio.

Hope this helps some. Can't help much with the Sat radio scenario.
2012-12-03_23-54-35_988.jpg2012-12-03_23-55-10_261.jpg2012-12-03_22-41-14_568.jpg

Before purchasing an Mp3, be sure to check the cable type. Decipher if it's for an iPod unit, or regular Mp3. They use different jacks.

Last edited:
BoDuke ah another cool nickname thanks

BoDuke thank you. I have the same setup as you have.
The guy who owned the vette had a droid but then he told me an MP3 player will work all I need is the
attatchments for it. I was going to get one that I can plug in but decided to get a battery operated mp3 player.
Can't do that quite yet. I am having the vette repainted. Oh geez 30 days without the vette.
Dave

BoDuke hi another question

I found an Ipod that gets internet and has mp3 player.
On the bottom of it is a port but do not know if my cable will fit it.
I wonder If I can buy some sort of hookup that would work with the ipod.
Its not an I phone.
Also it has no cables and where would you suggest I could get a cable
if that one will not work.
Its the chrome ipod. 8 gigs sd card.
Thanks.

Hmm, I'm not much of a techy. I've always been told that Apple has their own set up as far as connections go. I don't know if a universal adapter is available or not. If you can get to an Apple store, or maybe a Verizon that carries the Apple line, they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Sorry not to be of much help with your cable scenario. I do know that my particular cable will NOT work with 'i' anything. They ( i-simple ) do make a kit though specifically for the 'i' products

Thanks BoDuke

Bo me either. I thoght about asking them too.
Thanks

hey you "Dukes". I can try to clear up some of your questions. If you have the setup like Bo's, almost any phone or MP3 player will hook up to it, even the Apple. Just plug it into the headphone jack and it should play through the AUX of the radio. Volume and program (song) selections are not controlled through one device. Song selection has to be done through the MP3 player (or phone). The volume is controlled through the head unit. If you have the specific Apple interface cable, the Ipod (or Iphone) should be able to be controlled through the head unit and it will also charge the Ipod/Iphone. I bought the unit that plugs into the wiring harness in the back where the CD changer was for my Ipod, and ran the cable up to the console.

As for Satellite Radio, I bought a "SkyDock" for my Ipod (works with Iphone 3, 4 and 4s too). Plugs into the lighter, then the Ipod sit in it. The antennae I ran to the back and it sits on the back hump inside the cabin area clear to the back. Beings our cars are "plastic" it has no problem picking up a signal.

Here are a couple pictures of my Skydock setup. The Skydock must be used with an Ipod/Iphone and an app that get you the Sirius/XM channels.

Here is where I have my antennae.

Thanks toms01

Toms01 good will try to do the same after car gets out of the paint shop.
Funny my cd's that I made won't play in my car but will play in my other car.
Oh btw do you know why the Z06 only comes with a cd player but not a cd changer?
Is it because less weight?

As for Satellite Radio, I bought a "SkyDock" for my Ipod (works with Iphone 3, 4 and 4s too). Plugs into the lighter, then the Ipod sit in it. The antennae I ran to the back and it sits on the back hump inside the cabin area clear to the back. Beings our cars are "plastic" it has no problem picking up a signal.[/QUOTE]

I can only guess that this is the answer. I wonder if the wiring harness is the same between the FRC and the regular coupe. I'm guessing "No". But if they were maybe the cables are there to install a changer. Personally, I can't image using a changer any more. The changer was great, but that big ole box held 10 CDs (IIRC maybe it was 12) and my Ipod holds my entire library and is about 1/100th the size. I use that space for other things now.

"Funny my cd's that I made won't play in my car but will play in my other car."

I had the EXACT issue with my '04. The problem was this...The cd's I was burning my tunes on to was a CD-RW, which I found out are rewritable, and the computer doesn't 'close them out'

I had to get CD-R cd roms instead. After the computer writes the music files on the cd, it 'closes',and solved my problem. ALL my cd-r's play in my Vette, including the ones I had made back in the late 90's. Maybe look at your cd's to see if they say CD-RW. It may be the culprit for you as well!

TOMS01 is correct about about my set up reference running Apple. I wasn't taking in to account that the iPod headphone jack could be used as well. I was just thinking about the cord that plugs in to the bottom of the unit. My i-simple didn't come with one of those. I ordered the kit that came with the headphone jack input.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom